1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To All VIPs: Server Idling for Unlocks

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by A. Bettik, May 23, 2009.

1. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

[strike]The acheivement server might, at first glance, seem pointless right now. However, I would advise everyone to try there first when idling (in spec or otherwise) for hours on end in hopes of unlocking weapons. No one there is hoping for teamwork. Our regular servers, on the other hand, are. If you decide to do this on one of them, and that server fills up, expect to get kicked to make room for people that will contribute to the game.

Idling on a non-full server may actually help fill it up for the others, but you are wasting space if it is full. So, again, idle in the acheivement server if you can. If all our other servers are at or near capacity as well, idle in your own locally hosted server.
    [/strike]

Ok foks, there is no more acheivement server because everyone was using it solely for idling and that just uses up resources across the board for people that aren't even guaranteed to get anything out of it. As a VIP, you know what your "perks" are. Wasting a slot on our servers is not one of them.

So, rather than idle on our servers at all, just idle on your own locally hosted server. It's easy. Open TF2, click "Create Game", give it a password such as "idlewhore", and click "Start"! Have fun idly unlocking weapons on your own time rather than everyone else's!

2. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

this is a fantastic point. plus if you idle on a team in the achievement server (i.e. not in spectate) then you can help a lot of other players get their achievements, and you stand to win some items possibly. it's a win-win for all involved. and don't worry about that affecting your no heroes rank, as i don't believe the scrim server is set up with hlstats.

3. LumpOfCole

LumpOfCole New Member

Idled all night in the Achievement server last night and got a Sandman, then I got my Razorback for spectating in a random non-NH dustbowl server. :p This unlock method makes no sense.

I heard on the forums that weapon unlocks only happen in VAC-secured servers though.

4. prinny

prinny New Member

Someone called this out the other night. 3 random items to 3 random people every 15 minutes. So while we were playing, poof, after the 15 minutes, 3 items were given out. I don't know if it actually works like that but if someone does have time, they should try this out.

5. Capella

Capella New Member

lol then play on a low populated server and when the 15 min mark is hit you have a high probably of being picked, unless empty slots are picked....

6. prinny

prinny New Member

That's what I'm thinking, I've seen a few spectator get items as well.. but when I went into the achievement server and looked over the chat after I woke up. No one got squat. :S

7. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Just FYI, folks....Valve knows this is broken at the moment, and will be patching it soon. Enjoy the freebies while you can.

8. prinny

prinny New Member

^ Never knew that. Someone want to confirm getting an item at the beginning of a round? I've seen it a couple of times today.

9. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

10. Sheik_Yerbouti

Sheik_Yerbouti New Member

just a note on creating your own server.

I set up a dedicated server last night with 2fort, everything was set up correctly, I could see my unlocks so I was connected to steam, but after sitting there all night I got nothing at all.

have the rules changed?

11. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Same here. I sat in my own server for 16-17 hours and got nothing. Not sure if Valve has secretly patched this, but yeah, nothing.

12. alexdzeda

alexdzeda New Member

Also, now that the achievement_idle maps are out, there are no maps where you can just go and get achievements, and those that are there don't have any cooperation between people.

13. Dealth0072

Dealth0072 New Member

Your server has to be VAC secured to get items, and u also must enter some cmds into the console to make it work, that is why you got no items.

14. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

How do you go about VAC'ing and what commands do you have to enter? Out of curiosity.

15. Dealth0072

Dealth0072 New Member

:roll:
    1.IF YOU USE A ROUTER MAKE SURE UR STEAM SERVER PORTS ARE FORWARDED.

2.Start tf2, create server, make everything set to 0 except name, put a PW...choose achievement_idle

3.Set up the following commands in console in this EXACT order.

ip "xxx.xxx.xxxx.xxx:27015" (Substitute x's for your IP) (External IP, NOT Internal Lan IP)
    sv_pure 2
    sv_lan 0
    changelevel achievement_idle
    mp_timelimit 0
    mp_idlemaxtime 99999

16. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Wow...thanks. And fuck your rolling eyes.

17. Dealth0072

Dealth0072 New Member

Thats just how i :roll:

Bad pun is bad.

18. Capella

Capella New Member

Oddly enough I did manage to get a drop in a server I made by just doing sv_pure 1. Although I was unable to set a time limit, I did fool around with a few spy toys for a while and the Ambassador dropped. Just sayin'.

Capella

19. Theo

Theo New Member

nom-nom-nom has like 6 idle servers, so I have just been sitting in those.

20. M1k3yD

M1k3yD New Member

You don't need to set sv_pure to 2. It only needs to be 1. I have a server up right now with sv_pure 1 and it's all set. Servers are VAC-secured by default, even LANs. The only thing that would prevent you from getting items would be sv_cheats being set to 1. Plenty of people have gotten items on my server with it's current settings. Just make sure your server cfg isn't set to kick idle players or anything. I'm still trying to figure out how to force players into spectator.