1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips For (new)Snipers[repost]

Discussion in 'Strategy Guides' started by AIRchrist, Aug 3, 2008.

1. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Tips For Snipers

I wrote this a while ago, and I'm too lazy to revise my writing. Take it for what it is.

Most people think that sniper is a rather easy class. Point and click is a basic way to sum it up. However, a good sniper can hold off a rushor assist with a push.

Tools Of The Trade:

Long Range:
    Sniper Rifle-
    Damage: (Headshots are crits and do 2x damage), Fully Charged Headshot = Instant Kill

The sniper rifle is primarily used to pick off key targets, whether theyre attacking or on their way to assist attackers (especially medics). Its long range allows you to either sit back at the cap point/objective and defendor advance to the front lines for some face. You must zoom in until it is fully charged(full scoped) in order to deal maximum damage.

Short Range:
    Sub Machine Gun(SMG)-

The SMG is a decent weapon for close to medium range. Its rather weak, but will make short work of any scout or spy that manages to slip past the front lines. Its ammo reserve is a bit low for my likingand the reload rate is high. Combine the two and youll find yourself out of ammo quickly.

Melee:
    Kukri/Club-

Is a very effective weapon for spy checking. A few swings here and thereand get zoomed back in.

Defense:
    The sniper has only one roleto defend. Whether it is defending the objective, or picking off threats to your teammates. Sniping is a support class. Its not about racking up kills or scoring points. The most important part of defense is- like real estate Location, Location, Location!
    You need to find a spot that allows you cover, but also allows you a full view of the field. Another important aspect is keeping away from your team as best as possible. Avoid standing near an engineers equipment. The free buffer of ammo/health is not worth the risk. Any spy that slips through or ubered demoman can kill you with ease. Also, stay away from teleport exits. There have been many times where Ive set up shop and am making a killing(pun intended)then an engineer places an exit behind me. In little time, youll have your team flooding out of it and creating a large kick me sign. If you can avoid the temptation to follow your team in during a rush, youll be able to pick up serious kills and really benefit your team. Wait until your team has taken down a bunch of equipment/people before you move in. By this point, you can avoid full scoping, and just pick injured players off left and right. Lastly, the most important thing to do is move. After two or three kills, fall back and reload. Do some random spy checking where spies tend to hide. Then move back to your previous location, or find a different one if available.

Offense:
    If youre proficient at sniping(good), you can really benefit your team by moving up. This allows for you to support your team as they heal, build ubers, reload, and set up equipment. Stick close to a bottle-necklike a tunnel or a corner. Stay far back as to avoid rocket/demo spam. Thats my number one cause of death. The most important aspect to offense as a sniper is to constantly be on the move. It takes practice, but you can move around while full scoped. Its best to move left and right, while avoiding much forward movement(unless your team is pushing)
    (see Defense). Another thing that can really help your team achieve victory, is equipment destruction. There are times when you can save an ubered demo the trouble and sneak your way to a good place for a quick full scoped shot at a SG. Youll need to kill the engineer first to stop him from repairing the damage. Three full powered shots will be enough to down a level three SG. On a map like Warpathwhen the other team has SGs on top of their second to last cap pointyou can play a very important role.

Not Dying:
    You are not invincible by any means, but with the right play style and a good teamyou should be a Sex Machine(AIRchrist-like) at least once every round. Snipers should be one of the only classes to maintain a positive kill to death ratio. Unless you have a spy out for blood, or a shitty teamyou can deconstruct the other team. Rememberits all about constantly being on the move. Also, its very important to do frequent spy checking. Being aware of your surroundings can be difficult while youre scoping in on the action. However, losing your situational awareness will get you killed 100% of the time.

Knowing Which Targets Die First:

While zoomed in, you should be evaluating the field. There are targets with higher priority. These classes include: Heavy, Medic, Demoman, SGs(Engineers if attached to their SG). Not always in that order, but you have to make the judgment call. If your team is pushing and are meeting resistance from SGs or a couple Heavies. Those are the targetsPoint. Click. If youre being pushed backmost likely there will be a few demomen followed by medics. Point. Click.
    If you see a spy heading into a tunnel behind many of your fellow teammatesput him down please. Actuallyif you see a spy/spy-like actionsone shot from your sniper rifle will put him to sleep.

Communication:
    It is essential that you keep your team aware of the happenings on or around the field of play. As snipers, you have the benefit of seeing the open field and whos on it. If your team is getting ready for a push, and you see a demo/medic combo coming from below/behindfor crying out loudlet your team know. This is the same with spies. Spies try to cloak/uncloak/recharge this cloak in places that snipers can see. Tell your team. Also, if you see an engineer setting up a SG farm down the maplet your team know. We have a telescopestart telling people of your discoveries.

Head Shots:
    Not to bragbut Im at the top of the leader board for sniper(Circa two weeks ago on DiG HLXstats) I have more kills than anyone elsehowever my Headshot Per Kill(HPK) ratio is the lowest. Head shots are meant to instantly kill whoever youre aiming at. They are great/rewarding if you can do itwho wouldnt want an extra point for a HS? But the time it takes to full scope, line up, and track your shot is a waste. You can very easily take down a target and assist in a kill in the time it takes to get one headshot. Im not saying dont go for it. Do. Only if the situation calls for itor if the player is slowor better yet STILL. A still player is a dead player. Heavies and Soldiers are the only classes that I would recommend aiming for the face. Since you need to continue moving around, youll need to take whatever shot you can. If you hit a player in the foot after theyve been injuredit still counts as a kill, and most importantly, it benefits your team. Taking shots is the best advice I can give. I very rarely ever full scope. Its those half charged shots to an assaulting player that drops them and allows your team to push.

Not Being A Douche:
    I have recently noticed a trend on our servers. The sudden addition of four or five snipers to any one team at a time. This seems to happen when: either there is a decent sniper on the other team getting kills(trying to counter-snipe), or when the team is fucking turtling. There should never be a reason to have more than 02 snipers at any one time. Having four snipers vying for the same sniping spot = a multiple kill for a Soldier or Demo. My biggest frustration is when Im lining up a shot and another sniper meanders his way right into my line of sightresulting in me getting killed. Lastlyif you are on the bottom of the score boardand there is another sniper or two toward the topplease dont switch to sniper. This game has become less of a team effort and more a lone wolf FPS.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mikey-V

Mikey-V New Member

thnx man im gonna try ur tips out and hopefuly i wont suck at snipeing as bad as i do now :D

3. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Well Mikey, if you do suck, you can just go back to sticking your knife in people. You're quite good at that. Dick.

4. (T.N.T.) NakedSeamus

(T.N.T.) NakedSeamus No Heroes VIP
    VIP

Okay, I've read your guide and while I agree with it for the most part, I think I have a few arguements to make.

!. The Machete/Club is by far one of the best melee weapons in this game (aside from the recent contribution of the K.G.B.). You really have to take into account more than just how much damage it can do in one swing, but also its reach and its speed. Somedays I honestly kill more people with a machete than I do with my rifle. Once, and this is without an uber, I was able to drop down on a sentry gun placed just outside of my base on 2fort (and through much straffing) was able to destroy it and the NG trying to fix it. Took about 3 hits, and he wasn't wacking at it, but still, if I can do this with the Machete anyone can.

@. No scoping kills. I learned to snipe from a good friend of mine on another server. He taught me, that until it was second nature, that I should zoom in and use dry erase marker to paint a little dot on the screen exactly where my crosshairs were. At this point, due to cleaning a dusty screen, my dot is long gone, but because of it I always know exactly where I'm aiming even before I zoom in. This helps you keep moving, shifting from side to side at regular speed, versus scoping speed. This technique also favors headshots, and taking down already injured players.

#. Finally, one of the most useful techniques in counter-sniping, what I lamely call the Strafe-Zoom-Crouch. This is a technique solely for use against enemy snipers, and even then it may not be as useful as waiting patiently with a fully charged rifle. Its as easy as strafing out quickly while finding your target, zoomming in while still moving, and then crouching, having that chest/head shot whiz past as you take that extra half-a-second to aim and blow your enemy away. Just a note: While this may not describe my friend AIRchrist, many of us snipers are a vain lot, where its "BOOM, headshot!" or go home. So often enough, you'll be able to use this technique (and your enemy's vainity) against them, try these out sometime, and AIR, I'd love to hear your thoughts on these as well. Though I'm plugging my ears and singing "LALALALA" when you start bashing my precious machete. ;)

5. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Sniper battle?

Name the time and place.

6. (T.N.T.) NakedSeamus

VIP

Machetes only? ;)

7. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

No.

Not to toot my own horn, but have you ever seen me snipe?

8. (T.N.T.) NakedSeamus

VIP

I've heard, and I've had a lot of freetime reading the forums since the 5th of September. So I know of your prowess, I'm sure I'm not quite as good as you, so please don't look at these posts as me drawing a line in the sand, heh. Just trying to help new players, too. In all honesty though, I'll be on later tonight and you can own my ass then. In the meantime, its time for AAA Baseball and a cold Dr. Pepper. Catch you then, bud!

9. ToXic

ToXic Head Admin
    Head Admin

I'm better.

10. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Liar.
    View attachment 17

11. EternalMax

EternalMax New Member

hey...if we're doing a sniper battle i want in on it.....

12. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Oh, you're in. Threesome!

13. Drunk Guy

Drunk Guy Guest

Sniper's good stuff, eh

14. Hiroyuki Sakai

Hiroyuki Sakai New Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlMXyYyXcWo&feature=related[/youtube]

15. Synngry

Synngry New Member

Win.

16. Xabu

Xabu Guest

It's probably preference for everyone, but personally I like to quickswap between Rifle and SMG when defending myself. I don't play Sniper much these days, but if something gets in my face while I am I'll usually fire about 10 SMG bullets, get in an unscoped shot, then swap back to SMG; rinse and repeat until it's dead; just need a decent understanding of where your Rifle is pointed since you have no reticle while unscoped. This is just my personal preference if I want to kill something in my face slightly faster than just emptying my entire SMG clip.

http://www.vimeo.com/927749

Blood's got a little attitude problem (imo), but this video of his has some decent examples of what I'm trying to illustrate. Like I said, all depends on your preference.

17. Batman

Batman Guest

I quick swap between the machete and the sniper rifle. A melee crit does more damage than a secondary weapon crit. And if you've been getting some good kills you should have no problem getting a crit with the machete. It's not difficult to get up close and personal with your enemy.

18. luckylpf

luckylpf No Heroes VIP
    VIP

If I may add to your post AC.

I've got a few things I would like to recommend.

I have decided to make a guide for new or upcoming snipers that need a little guidance.
    This is not meant to be an expert guide, but sometimes even veterans need to get back to the basics.

There are many snipers out there.
    Many of them are good, many of them aren't so good.
    So how do you know which is which without getting your head blown off?

Here are a few set rules that all snipers must obey otherwise they get dominated.

~1. Keep moving

It pains me to watch good snipers go down because they stand in one spot or camp too much.
    There are strategic reasons for both, but too much in excess can be a bad thing.

~2. Accuracy first, speed later.

Speed kills, but not if you miss all day long. If you can get accurate with your shots first, you can gradually improve your speed over time. A miss gives the opponent valuable time they need to knock your head off, so think twice before taking a random shot.

~3. Short scope

This one is simple, if you are not confident you can take the shot... don't shoot.
    A short scope will also give you more time to for the second shot, being that the other sniper will more than likely miss due to your sudden change in pace.

~4. No patterns

This is a bit different than you might think, but is a simple rule to follow.
    Good snipers notice patterns in movement that will lead to the downfall of a player.
    Running in only one direction, or just bobbing back and forth will surely get you dead.
    So mix it up.

~5. Practice

I can't stress this one enough. No sniper is complete without practice.
    You just can't simply leave for summer vacation and come back and be just as good.
    Keep it up.

***Extra recommendations***
    Here are a few things that I would suggest, but are not set in stone for each person.

~Get a laser mouse.

I doesn't have to be a fancy 100 dollar mouse, but make sure it is laser not optical.
    Optical mice have a visible red light underneath. They don't track as well.
    Laser mice also work better on more surfaces.

A few I'd suggest to buy if you can't afford a high end one.

*Logitech G9
    *Logitech MX518
    *Razer Death Adder.

~Lower the DPI* of your mouse **Dots Per Inch** If you don't have a custom mouse then lower the sensitivity in windows. You'd be surprised how much it makes a difference.

~If you're computer can't run on High graphics settings turn them down. Lowering your settings will give you a little extra fps that could make the difference in that shot you could have made.

Again this was not meant to be an expert guide.

Hope this helps everybody

Tyson

• Like Like x 5
  19. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

HOLY FUCKING BUMP. It's been 541 days, 20 hours, and 44 minutes! DEAR LORDY.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Surrender Dorothy

Surrender Dorothy VIP Supporter
    VIP

This has to be greatest necro of all time. So, it of course deserves a video....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWenfOe8uA&feature=related[/youtube]

Just messing with you lucky, but uh, what were you thinking? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2