1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The summer of the geek

Discussion in 'General BS No One Cares About But You' started by the_mad_magyar, May 5, 2009.

1. the_mad_magyar

the_mad_magyar New Member

No, not those that bite the heads off chickens. With so many sci-fi and comic movies coming out this year we might as well start a thread about it.

Here's what I'm looking forward to this summer and beyond:

[strike]May 1st: X-men Origins: Wolverine[/strike] (just saw it on Sunday) :smile:

May 8th: Star Trek (If nothing else this movie looks to be an acidic visual orgasm but I happen to be a Trek fan to begin with)

May 21st: Terminator Salvation (The post apocalypta-feeliac in me busts a nut everytime I think of this movie)

June 26th: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. (It has to be better than the last one!)
    (Note to Michael Bay: less humans and prepubescent humor)

August 7th: G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Who isn't interested in seeing this train wreck?) :???:

October 16th: Where the Wild Things Are (Wow! And Directed by Spike Jonze to boot???)

Unconfirmed date: [blink]The Road[/blink]
    (I've been waiting for this one since last year. If you have not read the book I cannot recommend it enough to everyone especially if you into the post apocalyptic thing like I am.)

What's everyone else looking forward to? Discuss!

2. Skillzish

Skillzish Guest

More 'checking out what's under the hood' scenes? :cool:

3. Ragnarok-RgB

Ragnarok-RgB New Member

I agree with the above list but dunno if I'm going to watch megan fox and some robots after that first movie >_>

heres some more stuff im watching

May 29
    Up

July 15
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

August 21
    Inglourious Basterds

4. the_mad_magyar

Hmm... I think "booby jokes" count as prepubescent humor even if it's "adults" making the jokes. :wink:

On that note if anyone knows where I can find an edited version of Transformers 1 where all the comedic parts are cut out I would love to know about it. It would be about 30-45 minutes of pure unadulterated robot killing sprees!!! :mrgreen:

5. Muscles O Draves

Muscles O Draves Active Member

I think if you watch Transformers as a cheesy action movie, it becomes a lot better.

All, and I mean ALL, of my friends hate it, but I think most everyone is just butthurt because of the subpar acting.

Since when has any action movie had great acting? I mean, it's ACTION, not drama for a reason.

This is just me trying to defend and justify myself liking the movie a lot.

And that being said, I really, really, really cannot wait for Transformers 2.

Or any of the movies mentioned so far. I'm really excited for them all!

6. the_mad_magyar

Okay this won't be out till next year but the zombie Twitter thread reminded me of it.

They are making World War Z into a movie... and yes they will probably screw it up but I'm still excited as hell. I read that book in like 2 days it was so good.

7. Skillzish

Skillzish Guest

Not following.. I literally meant this scene...
    [​IMG]

Second best scene in the movie, next to her raging with the Sawz-all.

8. Xabu

Xabu Guest

4th Bourne Movie in the works but you won't see or hear anything about that until 2010 unfortunately. And it will be awesome.

9. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

I'm most excited about Where the Wild Things Are. FUCK! I'm excited.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOkQ4dYVaM[/youtube]

Up looks really good too. And it's weirding me out because I'm most excited to see kids movies.

Terminator will be good, but most likely because it has my man crush in it...and any movie trailer with a NIN song backing it HAS to be good.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcg5t0mT8V4[/youtube]

Inglourious Basterds looks promising.

10. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

+1 Transformers 2
    I'm most excited about this one, Transformers was both my favorite toy and my favorite cartoon as a child, and I was fairly pleased with the first movie.
    +1 Wolverine
    I've still not seen this, but judging from what I've heard I'll probably either pirate or wait to rent.
    +1 Harry Potter 6
    +1 Star Trek

11. Susquatch

Susquatch New Member

Anyone else pissed that Terminator Salvation is rated PG-13? I mean, is the pussification of another one of the great R-rated summer blockbuster franchises (first Die Hard) really where we're headed?

12. the_mad_magyar

I'm on the fence about the Pg-13 ratings. It mostly means no blood spatters... mostly.
    It's not like I was going to see Terminator for nudity.
    But yeah, it is bullshit either way, it shouldn't be for kids.

13. Ragnarok-RgB

Ragnarok-RgB New Member

PG-13= wider audience = more money, its as simple as that and you'd be surprised what you can get away with in PG-13 if your a big enough studio, disney had people getting shot in the head in that third pirates movie

14. Shadowstorm

Shadowstorm New Member

I'm concerned that you think those are geek movies.

I mean, Star Trek aside, which I am a huge fan of, is directed by JJ Abrams, FFS.

15. the_mad_magyar

Transformers is based on an 80's cartoon and comic book series.
    GI Joe is based on an 80s cartoon and comic book series.
    Terminator Salvation is a story about time traveling cyborgs from the future.... which also, I might add, is a comic book series.

Oh and let's not forget that this is all for the most part science fiction too (aside from the Joes which is just plain corny).

I think the geek title is appropriate. They don't make comics out of things that geeks aren't into.
    But don't think for a second that this is implied as a dis, I think we have much better taste than "them"!!! :razz:

16. Shadowstorm

Shadowstorm New Member

Blah, movies based off of comic books. What else is new.

17. Chewy

Chewy New Member

This part of the thread has failed to exceed my expectations. And so..

View attachment 397

EDIT: Sorry, I've been dying to use that picture all week.

18. SuperSamuri0987

SuperSamuri0987 New Member

I can't wait for The Road either >.< The book was absolutely amazing, and I think Viggo will do a lot of justice to the role of the father.

19. Susquatch

Susquatch New Member

Amazingly, Star Trek has 42 reviews at RottenTomatoes and still has a 100% rating. This will be a fantastic movie, I think.

20. jpocthree

jpocthree No Heroes VIP

[​IMG]

Saw Wolverine this weekend...but im not the biggest comic book fan...I thought it was good. My buddy whom is more into it rated it the worst xmen movie yet. How about some of the 10 previews they showed before it..."Year One" :roll: ...its like lets get all the currently popular actors together and worry about the actual movie later...except for the Terminator, but growing up in the 80's i may be biased..to bad the governator could not make an appearance :evil: