1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TF2 Stutter

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by blu3, May 29, 2009.

1. blu3

blu3 New Member

2. Yellowcake

Yellowcake Server Admin

Check if the multicore rendering option under the advanced video settings is disabled. This is still fairly buggy and can cause stuttering with some video drivers.

3. blu3

blu3 New Member

I'm an idiot. I didn't isolate.

At some point Firefox started to interfere with TF2--I'm not sure which build, but I always use the latest beta.

I do know that Firefox 3.5 Preview will cause a stutter on my system. It's intermittent, and it's a mix of a drop in framerate / relative unresponsiveness.

It is not like Firefox taxes my system--nor does TF2 for what it's worth. But something doesn't play nice, and it's smooth as butter when Firefox is closed.

4. Engrishman

Engrishman Server Admin
    VIP

Actually, firefox DOES tax your system. It's probably the most inflated memory hog of a web browser there is. I never have FF open while playing TF2.

5. blu3

blu3 New Member

I know it's a beast, but with 4GB of DDR3 @ 1600, processor @ 3.6 ghz, and a GTX 295, I feel like I ought to be able to handle a browser that takes up a few hundred MB of RAM.

But! Now that I play without Firefox, the game is again smooth, and I can play well.

6. Protean

Protean New Member

Nice rig dude.

7. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

I did find a nice OB tweak guide when I was trying to improve my TF2's performance (I dunno if it was a TF2 or graphics driver update that screwed things up) and the most useful thing I found was increasing the heapsize (amount of memory allocated to TF2) through launch parameters. You have to stick a command in the launch options/shortcut options for TF2 and a couple of convars into the autoexec.cfg to allow the game to use more memory. I would find the commands and link them here but I'm in school ATM and behind a sh[ITEM DROP!!] web filter. It's only a matter of time until someone notices I'm on these forums and blocks them out of spite. :evil:

EDIT: OMG, it's not blocked:
    http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html

You'll also need mem_max_heapsize_dedicated if you have a GPU with dedicated graphics memory.