1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TF2 Map Creation...

Discussion in 'TF2 Mapping' started by Nightshadow, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Nightshadow

Nightshadow New Member

Im thinking of creating or working on a TF2 map. Anyone here have any experiences they'd like to share? You know, what NOT to do... things like that?

2. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Mapping tips:
    The torus tool doesn't work. :mad:
    Don't use the arch tool where you can just use the cylinder tool.
    Vertex edit or clip, NEVER CARVE. EVER. :evil:
    Make everything nodraw then texture the faces you can see.
    Use devtextures at first, they can give you a pretty good sense of size.
    Make everything a little bigger than you think it needs to be.
    Use the sky list to get optimum sky settings: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List
    Run your compile log through here to look for errors: http://www.interlopers.net/errors/errors.php

3. Nightshadow

Nightshadow New Member

Thank you sir... youre the man. Im sure this will help, as its my first time. I want to make at least one map, even if it sucks bad... I want to complete one.

4. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

If you've never mapped before, look at some tutorials on FPSB and the Interlopers site. They're mostly helpful.

5. Nightshadow

Nightshadow New Member

I was on there last night, FPS Banana... reading up on stuff.

I want to put something in a map with flowing water, however I dont think there is "water displacement" in TF2... Although a scripted, flowing water area could exist.

6. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

No need for a script, just make a brush with nodraw on all sides, texture the top face with water. Copy that brush and re-texture the new one with trigger textures. Select it and hit CTRL+T and make it a trigger_push. You can set the speed and direction of the push to give the effect of a water current when you jump in.

7. Nightshadow

Nightshadow New Member

Oh awesome man. Thanks for all the help... this whole map making procedure might take a couple months ... but we (my brother and I) are quite excited about creating it. We've been playing Valve games since Half Life came out back in 1999 or whatever... and never made any maps.

Hope people are willing to take a look at our crappy map when its finished!

8. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

YES YES YES. No-one I know EVER does this apart from the people I've told to do it. It just makes so much sense.

Anyway, good luck with the mapping. If you've never done any whatsoever I'd recommend looking at the Valve Wiki; I forget the address, just type "Source SDK" into Google.

EDIT: Ah. Just realised this is a pretty old thread. Ah well. :roll: