1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team Fortress 2 Announcer Punishes Cheaters

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Savage, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2262

2. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

It's been quite awhile since I've checked out the TF2 blog: when the team was reassigned to L4D the updates were few and far between but it seems I've got a few posts to catch up on now!

[​IMG]
    This delights me. It always infuriated me how a surprised Demo (sorry Savage) could just drop a sticky and trigger it when we're both right beside it, yet I would die and he would have like half his health left.

And I'm an awful Demoman so that wouldn't help my mood either, lol!

3. Ragnarok-RgB

Ragnarok-RgB New Member

I'm curious how many people were actually doing this

4. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

Now that you mention it, I suppose this would explain why everyone's "you have unlocked new items!" screen appeared on their first sign-in after the latest update. I didn't hear about people using weapons/items on the wrong characters, but I only play here now.

This exploit could be seen as amusing, I suppose - winding up a minigun as a scout or something if that's what the exploit was actually about - but I don't understand why people bother to use speed hacks and aimbots and the like. Especially aimbots: you're not even doing anything! I got bored with cheats and hacks after IDDQD. Where's the satisfaction? What's the point?

5. Xabu

Xabu Guest

This exploit was spammed all over Facepunch as far as I know, so I'd imagine quite a few.

6. Guest

I think the point is to piss people off and get a rise out of them...like taunting a child to make it cry more...which, as an activity, should get boring after about 5 minutes...at least to a person with any kind of life to speak of.

7. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

IDDQD, no. That's boring.

IDKFA? Yes please. Mmmmm, chaingun.

8. Cappabitch

Cappabitch New Member

'Your memory serves you well!'
    >iddqd

Anyways, in regards to the topic... In the words of the announcer: YOU FAILED!

9. bac0nb0y

bac0nb0y New Member

Don't forget idclip for older versions....or....

idspispopd for the early version.

Great memories :)

However, you're right. Cheating really only ends up cheating the person using them out of actually experiencing the game. I can't understand why anyone cheats during this one, but boys will be boys I guess.

10. Proven

Proven Community Veteran

These people cheat because they can, and there is risk of being caught by the VAC or the admins of the servers. Which makes the challenge/reward for why they do it.

I agree, that in the old days that I used cheats in games it wasn't as much fun. I generally only enabled them so I could see the map in god mode to understand the difficulty of a section. Even that though ruined the surprise for me. Playing and sucking is much more fun that hacking. Your mileage may vary.

11. sighmon

sighmon Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

i read the first post and just thought "spispopd", myself.

12. DIK Farm Dunn

DIK Farm Dunn Active Member

AHHHHH

IDDQD? IDKFA? Wow, i forgot about that...what is that, doom 2? I cant remember....

13. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

i used to play doom for hours every day after school in middle school! and i always played god-mode, usually full ammo. i stopped playing it for years but got ultimate doom on steam a few months ago. it's fun looking back on it....

i hadn't heard about this exploit, but it does sound awesome.

and i'm tired of people complaining about how valve always breaks things when they try to fix it. i mean, yeh, it's true, but it just gets old hearing about it, and they usually don't take long to fix things they've broken.

14. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Get 20 PM's a day when valve breaks something, and tell me how you feel about it.

Having said that...Valve's biggest problem isn't all the bugs they fail to fix in a timely manner, it's their complete disregard for server operators. For example: When Valve dropped that update last week that changed EVERYONE'S Steam ID, they did it without ANY notice to server operators at all...which made thousands of admins/bans across almost all steam servers suddenly just "go away". can you imagine the nightmare I woudl have had on my hands (if I hadn't changed our system) if 400+ VIP's/admin suddenly stopped working?

And then, to make matter worse, after many a dedicated server operator stayed up all night fixing their system(s) to work with the new Steam ID's, Valve decided they would REVERT BACK the very next day - again with no warning to server operators.

Keep in mind, no independent server operators, NO VALVE. Valve's business model is predicated on the wholesale community support of it's games. Running servers is not cheap, and the only way they can sustain their business model is if people like us are willing to host their games....making the lack of support from Valve puzzling at best.

15. jpocthree

jpocthree No Heroes VIP

Thanks for the all hard work Savage, Im sure most of it goes unnoticed by us, the masses, except when shit breaks or is broken for you... :roll:

16. Nightshadow

Nightshadow New Member

Ok listen... I work all day, come home, log on to payload extreme and thats about it... so I have no freakin clue what this message is about. What was the exploit???

17. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

How 'bout... doesn't matter because it's taken care of? Or read the rest of the thread?

EDIT: lol, sorry, sounded like a dick. I mean, I am, but I try not to sound like it.

18. Amakiir

Amakiir New Member

The reason they changed the way weapons work is very simple and logical:
    Before weapons were done entirely client side. They would unlock a weapon by getting an achievement, telling the server they got it, and the server telling them they can use it. People could cheat by adding small scripts to their game that told the server they unlocked all the achievements instantly and thus unlock their weapons. I know many people who have done this, one dick tried to recruit people to his website where he gave them a download link for the files.

The new system is entirely server side, and maintained on steam cloud. The game server tracks your achievements, and updates steam cloud whenever you unlock one. Steam cloud then tells you what items you have and what you dont. When you equip an item you do it through steam cloud, which automatically saves which items you used last.

Knowing this, it becomes obvious why items were 'unlocked' again when you first booted up the game after the last update. It was your client telling steam cloud what you already had, and steam cloud 'telling' you that you unlocked this and that, reminding you that they are all available.

As for the weapon thing, if its the exploit I'm thinking of, its old. I remember playing around in TF2 (and this was preDIG days, back in like November of 2007) where guys were 'picking up' the weapons of people they killed. Counter Strike style or whatever (I've never played counter strike). I saw a spy back stab a medic and pick up his syringe gun. Then run around killing people with it. Then a medic killing a soldier and taking his rocket launcher. There was some way to pick up the item up that I never learned. Maybe a console command or something.

Maybe they are talking about another exploit, I dunno. But I've seen it done. I also remember people doing it with the new medic weapons and heavy weapons, and I dont ever remember reading anything about them fixing it.