1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I can't believe I'm doing it, but: CUTE WARPATH

Discussion in 'TF2 Mapping' started by Zind, May 28, 2009.

1. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

The title says it. I'm downloading SDK as I type, and should have Warpath decompiled before the night is through.
    IN THIS THREAD:
    • [*:35rpnlct]Name discussion.
      [*:35rpnlct]Texture/color/model suggestions/links (I have some experience at 3d modeling, I can do some simple things from scratch if getting it into [*:35rpnlct]valve-mode isn't too difficult).
      [*:35rpnlct]Any suggestions on adjustments or changes you'd like to see beyond a simple re-skinning (I'll be working off of Darth's edited version [*:35rpnlct](unless he makes some objection) so all of his changes to gameplay will still be present).
      [*:35rpnlct]Any general advice more experienced mappers have for me. I've only ever done CS:S mapping before, so I'm not sure how different this [*:35rpnlct]will be, if at all (links to tutorials are okay I guess, but i'm capable of finding ones I need for specific methods as I need them).

2. motherboy xxx

motherboy xxx Head Admin
    Head Admin

Pictures that would be cute to have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used to have a hello kitty email. It was the cutest email I have ever seen. :)

3. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

i'd say pretty much anything from lisafrank.com would fit.

4. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

I'm pretty sure the name was decided a few weeks ago, "SprinkleSparkleMcWarpath" :lol:
    You'll be needing the .vmf and the custom textures in there also. The .vmf goes in your /sourcesdkcontent/tf/mapsrc folder(approximate file extension), the overlays folder goes in the /teamfortress2/tf/materials folder.
    I'm assuming you know how to build cubemaps, and use pakrat when you're done with all this.
    Also, Proven knows a lot about how to convert picture files to the proper format, so you should ask him for some pointers.
    EDIT: Also, you should replace the normal boxes with companion cubes :mrgreen: . You'd just have to add the model to the map as well since not everyone has Portal.
    EDITEDIT: And, you should find out how to make your own skybox, and put a rainbow in it with pink clouds :mrgreen: .

5. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

that's a great idea

6. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Good luck. I started on a venetian warpath, got frustrated and quit. :grin: (That's how most of my projects go...)

7. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

Awesome man, thanks. I had already decompiled the bsp, but having the bits by themselves is probably a bit safer.
    Depending on how "sparkly" this gets, cubemaps might be the most time-intensive part o___o
    I've done several pictures myself for sprays and the like, so I should have that easy enough, although I'll keep him in mind if I run into issues.
    LOVE the companion cube idea. My first idea was to find a 3d model of a unicorn and just put a box-shaped player_clip around it >.>
    The skybox was one thing we never figured out. To avoid issues we literally just made one really big box and put around the rest of our map

8. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

9. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

10. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

That isn't how it works.

It takes the image (which will end up being a funky cross thing) and applies it to (basically) a gigantic grid which is always rendered from the same viewpoint and holds the illusion that it is stationary.

11. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

Okay. So my first plan, we shall see how it works sometime soon, is as follows:
    I've gone into the GCF and extracted all the textures used for the concrete structures. I'm going to "pink-ify"/"purple-ize" these and do a straight replace (with lighting tweaks as necessary), and if it looks just the right kind of awful, I'll move onto the ground.
    I've also looked over skybox creation and i think I have a plan for that, although due to the shape of the skybox already there, it may not work as cutely as I'd like.

12. motherboy xxx

motherboy xxx Head Admin
    Head Admin

Sorry, I totally meant to post this a few days ago, but if you're still working on making this incredible map, here are some ideas that Savage suggested:

-Cotton-candy and rainbows in the sky
    -The last cap point to look like a gingerbread house
    -Rainbows and unicorns everywhere! (That's my suggestion, but the rest were his).

What do you think? Are these do-able?

13. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

I do not recall that, your honor.

14. motherboy xxx

motherboy xxx Head Admin
    Head Admin

Would you rather have credit for all the super cute, super awesome ideas that came out of our conversation? I don't mind. :)

15. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

The first and last are eminently doable. The cute capture points is something I was considering myself, but unless I can find a good prefab it's a bit beyond my modeling skills. I will take a look around though.

16. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Get someone to make the cap a giant flower?

[​IMG]

17. motherboy xxx

motherboy xxx Head Admin
    Head Admin

I'd rather have it be a big hello kitty face than a flower.I don't know if flowers fit into the sparkle and rainbow theme.

18. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Uh what?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They all kind of go together... right?

19. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Ah, yes- one more thing.
    func_dustmotes

It can be set to any color so I'm thinking this and this would be appropriate.
    Just think about it- sparkling pink and purple dust. Zind, your map is going to be ridiculous.

20. TheChaosOfX

TheChaosOfX New Member

I wanna play! (Suggestions to come later)