1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumor Mill: L4D 2

Discussion in 'Left 4 Dead' started by Xabu, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Xabu

Xabu Guest

http://www.destructoid.com/rumortoid-valve-ea-to-reveal-left-4-dead-2-at-e3-next-week-133720.phtml

I'm intrigued as the game is rather new for a sequel to be in the works already. We'll have to sit around and wait for more information from E3.

EDIT: Also see http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ne...d_2_announced_4_new_survivors_5_new_campaigns

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58898

EDIT2: Fuller, much more informative story at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/01/left-4-dead-2-exclusive-rps-preview/

2. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

Woo! put the two together and have 16-player versus mode?!?
    Keep your chainsaws away from my smoker's tongue O_O

3. Hills

Hills Server Admin
    VIP

wow, very surprising. I'd personally rather not see chainsaws, etc. It sounds too similar to Killing Floor. An expansion would be fine, different survivors and weapons.

4. Muscles O Draves

Muscles O Draves Active Member

:(

Personally I would just like to see this as free DLC.

I suppose Valve will milk this cash cow as much as they can though...

5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Hahaha, nice!

6. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

I lol'd a little.

7. Guest

The fact it's going to have new survivors is saddening. The original Left 4 Dead cast had so much untapped personality and individuality..

8. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Seems a bit out of character for Valve, considering they haven't even delivered on their promises for the first version yet.

9. Guest

It would certainly explain why they haven't done much with the original (as compared to Team Fortress 2's constant patches and updates).

My friend screenshot the video showing the characters and they look pretty awful - incredibly generic:

[​IMG]

10. Ragnarok-RgB

Ragnarok-RgB New Member

In teh trailer you can here the scouts bat sound lol

11. Xabu

Xabu Guest

I'm pretty skeptical about this but I'm not sure if I should be. This new version promises some amazing things like actual dynamic maps based on survivor progression rather than just items and zombies changing around. Fuck melee weapons though, I personally feel they have no place in L4D unless Shove is just completely removed.

On the other hand, this is awfully soon, especially given how Valve usually handles upgrades like this. No doubt L4D has gotten some aggressive marketing and publishing, but it almost seems like "too soon" to phase out the current version of L4D (given that all info states this is a new game and not DLC).

12. Muscles O Draves

Muscles O Draves Active Member

13. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Awesome! Another L4D that I can be underwhelmed by.

14. digitaldemon

digitaldemon Well-Known Member

From Gabe Newell's Twitter...

So they're aware of that fact, but announced it anyway? Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

15. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

Does this guy even know what "jumping the shark" means? I'm guessing he meant "let the cat out of the bag"... ugh.

As so many have pointed out, I too think this is way too soon and that it will mean Valve stops doing anything for L4D beyond the final SDK and matchmaking update with support for third party campaigns. They'll leave any further development up to the community. L4D has a huge player-base and sold better than any other Valve game (I think, right?), but the majority of those people will go on to L4D2. I'll begrudgingly be one of them.

Anyway, just another in a greater series of missteps from Valve. I would imagine that the idea of dynamic maps is the real reason why this is going to cost so much money and thus force them to make us shell out the cash. I mean, that clearly denotes a new game engine, although it doesn't necessarily mean it will improve upon graphics (which are honestly great as it is). Of course, still nothing in detail as to just how and how much a map will be dynamic in its physical structure. That's all fine by me, though. A new engine deserves some cash. I'm hoping for no more than $40, but who knows.

Also, probably unlike most of you, I'm looking forward to the melee weapons. If it's done right, it could really give the game more of a sense of "use whatever the fuck you have at your disposal to get these damn zombies off you" - aka panic. L4D is basically a cautious, stealthy game on both sides of the versus spectrum as well as single player. I'd love to see more raw panic-inspiring carnage. The change in crescendo events should prove to help this, too, with actually being a crescendo by being forced to get from point A to point B or beyond within a certain amount of time or face certain doom.

L4D, we hardly knew ye. L4D2? .......... I propose a custom campaign:
    [​IMG]

16. digitaldemon

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not one to critique people, that is definitely not the right context. :lol:

I think the melee weapons are gonna be awesome. There are so many times where you just want to get those zombies the fuck off of you, but you either can't get a shot off or there are too many to melee with your gun. Solution....chainsaw! :mrgreen:

17. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

I'm going to laugh at the new players who run straight at tanks with the chainsaw.
    Also it may seem a bit cliche, but... is anyone else thinking about animal infected?

18. digitaldemon

No, I hadn't...but that's a damn good idea. :shock:

19. Ragnarok-RgB

Ragnarok-RgB New Member