1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC cars?

Discussion in 'General BS No One Cares About But You' started by Rusty, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Rusty

Rusty No Heroes VIP
    VIP

I'm lookin at getting an RC car and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on brands, types, etc...

I'd like something that can go off road, isn't too expensive(under $500), preferably electric but maybe you can convince me otherwise.

Anyways I'm not that much of a handyman so it would have to be pre-built.

http://www.hobbytron.com/ElectricRCBugg ... X2405.html

^^^This one looks good, its cheap and it says its upgadeable.

Any opinions?

2. =]pFm[= Wet

=]pFm[= Wet New Member

really depends what you want to do with it. Do you want to tear around parking lots or do dirt tracks etc?

I used to be into these some time ago and got an RC10GT which is a nitro (gas) powered car. I think the kit its self set me back somewhere around 500 bucks, then you have to buy the remote and the servos which come seperately. So make sure whatever you decide to get either has the remote included, or factor this into the price.

In my experience the Team Associated cars are the best, most fixable etc... you can replace/order every single part on the car. You have to think, a lot of these little cars go around 30-40mph so if it crashes... something is going to break! haha

As for battery vs nitro.... look at how long you wanna be able to play around without having to recharge batteries etc. This was the limiting factor for me and why i went with a gas powered car.

A lot of the cars can be bought pre assebled, but the problem is if something breaks you wanna know how to put it together/take it apart so you can fix it.

Honestly if you are not a very mechanically inclined person this may not be the hobby for you. Stuff will break and you will need to dissasemble and reasseble to get it working again. I think it took me somewhere around 5 or 6 hours to fully assemble my car from the diagrams...

I would just do some research, and if there is a quality hobby shop in your area head over there and talk to someone.. tell them what you want to do and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Maybe get a cheepo car and see how you like it, so you dont end up with 700 dollars worth of crap stuffed in a box in the garage... o wait thats me! HAHA have not used my car in 5 years... but this sorta motivates me to find it and see if it still works! haha

3. RugRat

RugRat Head Admin
    Head Admin

I had a Traxxas Revo once. It was nice and had a gas motor. It did great off-road and cost around $450. My only problem with the gas was playing with it in my neighborhood. It was kind of loud. http://www.traxxas.com

4. Dustbunny

Dustbunny New Member

If you're just starting off, stick with HPI or Traxxas just because the parts will be more readily available. You will break whatever you are buying. I personally have a HPI Savage X (which goes for around 400 give or take), a HPI Firestorm (300 everything said and done) and a no-name electric. What you really have to decide is whether you want 2 or 4WD and gas or electric. Electric is cheaper in the long run, and practically everybody who buys a nitro powered one regrets not getting an electric at some point, be it because of convenience, noise issues, or utility.

If I had to do it all over again from the beginning at this point, I'd buy a Firestorm (either the 2WD, nitro, available here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPVD8&P=0 or the electric variant, available here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTDU6&P=0). The Firestorm is a blast.

5. sighmon

sighmon Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

SeeYouInHell is an expert. See what he has to say, too.

6. Proven

Proven Community Veteran

Here is my argument for nitro over electric if you are going to be OFF ROAD and not INDOORS

Play time!!! I can buy a jug of nitro and run until it is empty. My HPI Savage will go about 15 minutes per tank and I get about 40 tanks from a jug (just off the top of my head.) I love the weed-eater noise it makes and the smell...it is manly to hear one SCREEEEEEEEEM down the road.

If you wanted to get the same playtime from an electric you'd have to have that many batteries. Depending on the draw, a battery can last around 8-15 minutes per charge and they are expensive. So you have to go out with 40 batteries to equal my playtime.

7. Dustbunny

Dustbunny New Member

It all evens itself out:
    Electric
    5 cheap-ass batteries - 50 bucks (good for around 75 minutes of run time)

Gas
    Glow plugs
    Glow starter
    Fuel (which you can't really buy cheap without suffering consequences)
    + Reoccurring costs as glow plugs burn out and you run out of fuel

I'm aboard the electric bandwagon right now because I'm sick of getting my finicky carb tuned to the right settings as it gets warmer and more humid out. Electric is just plug in, start, and go. It's also fun smoking those noisy sons-a-bitches off the line, cause electrics accelerate way faster than nitros (especially if they have brushless engines). Still, I just love the smell of nitro exhaust for some reason.