1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Payload Extreme - Alpine

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by RHiNO, May 27, 2009.

1. RHiNO

RHiNO New Member

This maps needs to be removed from the server until a better version of it comes out. I run on a pretty high end computer and even i experience quite a drop in frame rates on this map especially trying to cap the 2nd point. I know i'm not the minority here

2. Yellowcake

Yellowcake Server Admin

I'd say my framerates are fine on Alpine, but then I haven't tried sniping on the map. I expect the large area around the bridge would cause problems while zoomed with the rifle. Overall I like the map. The last two points need a good deal of teamwork to capture.

Just a heads-up: the other day I might have triggered something on Alpine that caused the server to Crash. My character became stuck at a tight bend in the tracks just in front of the cart. The cart passed though me and immediately the server went down. It also could have been a random bug from the last Valve update or an intentional maintenance reboot (around 21:15 on May-24 as I recall).

3. the-chick-on.magroin

Rhino- I can't even play alpine at all because it lags me so hard! So yeah you aren't the only one who has issues with that map lol. If it wasn't for the lag it's a good map though!

4. Bizpad

Bizpad New Member

I haven't had any issue with framerate on that map but there are other issues. The ending choke point is totally ludicrous and the defending team constantly has people spawning in and getting stuck requiring them to change classes two times to free themselves.

5. Larfleeze

Larfleeze New Member

Between framerate issues (although I have framerate issues on most maps, I can generally tell when it's my system or something with the map/server handling things) and that last Chokepoint, I'm in agreement.

But, like I've told people in game, when you downloaded the map it was Alpine_beta_3 or so. so it's obviously not finished.

6. Guest

Trust me, the map was not comprised well and I bet if I decompress and look at it in Hammer, I'll see a lot of spotchy coding and placement of things.

But what everyone else should be complaining about is the fact that it's just a horrible map overall. Okay, maybe not "Zig" bad (though there is room for argument), it does have potential, but let's face it, the building/tunnel is one of the worst chokepoints. Not to mention the final capture point/red spawn just looks half-assed. Like the author took the time to map out everything else and just decided to throw some s*** together for the final point.

I'd suggest taking it off the rotation for now.

7. Larfleeze

Larfleeze New Member

Which, again, probably has a lot to do with the map still being a BETA map. Except the last chokepoint. That's just bad map design.

8. UfaOe

UfaOe New Member

My computer has not had any problems with alpine and its about a year old. People just don't like the map because of the choke-point, but there is a way to beat it if you know how, just not many people know how to do it.