1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orange x3 Edit

Discussion in 'TF2 Mapping' started by Darth Cyrax, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Ok... as a newb to Hammer map editor, I have completed my first edit of a map. I decided not to make my own map because I needed to learn the basics of Hammer first, as I'm sure you veterans know it isn't very user friendly(nasty learning curve). So, I decided to edit what I thought was broken- Orange x3. Now, My edit isn't like the other edit's I've seen. I made some major changes to this map. You'll see most of them in the screenshots in link below, but here are other things you need to know.

The large buildings are maze-like, very close-quarters and will be essential to controlling the cp at the end of them.
    Health+ammo pack placement meant to encourage aggresive stlye, ex.NOT TURTLING
    I took a page from Warpath and made spawns for both teams become that active when they've captured all but the enemy's last point. It's in the middle of the map, much closer to the action.
    You can change classes in the spawnroom WITHOUT dying
    Enemies can't enter the spawnroom
    ADDED: Also, the original spawn rooms now have doors and can be re-entered(meaning they're ground-level)

So, here's the link: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/72638

I'm just looking for your feedback FPS Banana hasn't been very responsive. What I don't want to hear is "I believe we have enough remakes of this. Try working on a new level design."
    I didn't spend 30+ hours on Source SDK to be told I need to make another map.

And as a final note, I DID get permission to do this, the dialog is in the link.

2. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Re: Map Edit

I'll upload this to our scrim server sometime this weekend for you guys to check out.

3. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Thanks man. I haven't been able to play it on a full 32 person server yet, so I'll try to be there.

4. xion

xion New Member

Looks great.
    Did you get the teleporter exploit fixed?

5. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Oh you mean the one from the discussion page? Yes its fixed, though technically it was a spawning problem not a teleport exploit. My original spawn points were either too close together or too close to the ground, so people would SPAWN under the map, not teleport.

6. ShogunBabalu

ShogunBabalu New Member

from the screens it looks like it will be a fun map
    looks like a better team oriented take on an orange map, well done

7. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Ok, someone on fps banana mentioned some good things to optimize the map, so I'll probably do that and update it within [strike]this weekend[/strike].
    EDIT: OK, I may have lied, having problems with the lighting :evil:

8. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Okay, I'm nearly finished the changes and a community-ready map will be up tomorrow around 4:00PM

9. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

checking out the link, i think this looks awesome. the screens alone (i haven't roamed the map yet) look like a huge improvement over the previous class-less (or class unbalanced) oranges, and it's very reassuring that you respond so well to improvements and adjustments. i never was a huge fan of orange maps, mostly because they frequently lack teamwork, but it looks like your version will encourage that. i also like the 30 min timer =)

we should play test this.

edit: i checked this out on the scrims server - i really like it, i would love to try it on a relatively full server. it looks infinitely more suited for a full team and teamwork strategy than any other orange i've played. and at the same time, it retains a lot of the sniper work known for oranges. i wanna try it on a populated server.

10. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Thanks for you comments keif, that is exactly what I wanted to do.
    Ok, the new map is up NOW, [strike]new screenshots will be up later.[/strike]
    FYI I think this will be the last map with major geographical changes, I dont think I can fit much more in this map :p
    From now on I'm hoping all there is to do is minor bug fixes/ lighting adjustments.

11. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

New screenshots are up now, as you can see there are new buildings in between the final and secondary CPs, the original spawn rooms can now be re-entered, and the lighting has been drastically improved.

EDIT: If you have something to say, please post it as I'm looking for a much feedback as possible for improvements.

12. ShogunBabalu

ShogunBabalu New Member

looks real fun

looks perfect for spies, lots of hiding spots

13. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

I put the buildings in with the idea that they are the place where pyros/heavies/spies would really shine
    Before, those classes were only useful in the central tower, I'm hoping to make them useful for the entire map.

14. Neil For Me Baby

Neil For Me Baby New Member

This looks like a huge improvement over orangex3. Right now I only use orange if I want to practice sniping - the map has very little use outside of that. Look forward to trying it out!

15. boo

boo Guest

I have taken a quick look at the map and its a massive improvement over the old one, I may actually play this one.

16. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Minor update, not really worth checking out it you've already seen the previous update. And if you haven't, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    Here's you personal invitation

Greetings (YourNameHere),
    You are formally invited to click the link on the first page of this thread. If you desire, after viewing said link you may post a comment in this very thread.
    Sincerely,
    Darth Cyrax

On a more relevant note, this is probably the last update until we get some serious playtesting going, so I can edit with regards to actual gameplay rather than theorized gameplay.

17. Hills

Hills Server Admin
    VIP

Are we going to host this for a little while? I think we are all looking to get a crack at it.

Thanks

18. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

We are in the process of organizing a playtest night. It will be on the Secure Scrim Server and open to VIP only. A date HAS NOT been decided yet.

19. Hills

Hills Server Admin
    VIP

And what is the link for the secure scrim server :)

20. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Umm... I don't know, I found it by loading TF2(or look at the TF2 servers thru Steam), organizing alphabetically, finding the other No-Heroes Servers and it should be right next to them. Then just add it to your favorites list. You will be informed of the password once we are more more organized.