1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NH Balloon Race

Discussion in 'TF2 Mapping' started by Darth Cyrax, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Ok, because Chuckstar has yet to deal with the clipping problem, I have begun working on a No Heroes Version of Balloon Race, which will not only address the clipping issue but also a few balance issues; I am also going to optimize the map. If you have any REASONABLE suggestions, I will be willing to consider them. Keep in mind that I'm not going to rework the map, what is not "broken" will not be "fixed."

Change Log:
    -Windows made stronger
    -PlayerClip Boat added(hopefully stop the clipping problem)
    -Unnecessary skybox removed
    -CP4 is made even for RED and BLU
    -Lots of NoDraw added in.
    -Pop song replaced with interesting line from the Demoman
    -New side-spawn doors that open after point 3 is captured to allow for Engineers/snipers ect. to get ready for the final leg of the race(between the 4th CP and the hangar) [thnks Proven]
    -Teleports to boat moved to be less vulnerable/exploitable, the one previously on the top deck is now below deck [thnks Boo]
    -Fences added to prevent exploit/camping of side spawn doors.
    -6 more sharks with 3 more tracks(2 per track) added
    -Teleports added at points 2 and 4(become active after their respective points have been captured)
    - and Waaaaaaayyyyyyy too many other things too mention

ONE MORE THING- For those of you with talent in picture editing, it would be really great if you could help me out by giving me some files of things like stylized No Heroes pictures or other things to really put a No Heroes "stamp" on this map.
    Thanks in advance

2. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Make cannons.... :grin:

Optimization as far as the skyboxes and displacements, probably less skybox.

3. Capella

Capella New Member

I have not tried to build on the on the deck of the boat in V2, but would that even be possible? It would put the Engi back in the game. And help defend the boat from invading pyros.

Capella

4. Hills

Hills Server Admin
    VIP

What about frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads?

5. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

One of the first things I did, seemed like there was way more skybox than necessary.
    Actually I do plan on putting in alot more sharks. :twisted: But no laser beams sadly.
    I increased the damage from being on the boat, so pyros and anything won't be able to stay on more than a couple seconds.
    If Engineers were able to build on the boat I would want to make it so than nothing(at least sentries) can be upgraded.

6. boo

boo Guest

I think the easiest thing to do, is to add some screens at the front of the boat. So if one boat gets in front their snipers are exposed but the other team have some cover from which to snipe and to push the boast. It shouldn't be 100% but be just enough to stop the other teams snipers camping the boat spawn points.

7. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

I was thinking about moving one of the spawn/teleports to below deck so that would be near impossible to snipe. The one I'm moving will be the one that goes to the front of the boat, so it instead goes to the lower deck.
    The one that leads to the cabin is be alot easier to provide cover for than the one in the middle of the boat, so it can probably stay where it is.

8. Capella

Capella New Member

I only use the on one the top deck, the one below deck tends to drop you out the bottom. Moving the above deck teleport exit below would change the game dynamic, adding more time for people returning from re-spawn. That might be good.

Capella

9. SteakNCheese

SteakNCheese New Member

This is starting to sound like what the Balloon race should have been like. While I sadly can not offer any assistance, I do look forward to seeing this in action. I could offer assistance in testing out builds of the map if your interested.

10. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

THIS

11. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Possibly...
    by the way, does anyone know of any specific "tricks" to force the clipping problem to happen? I've been running up and down the stairs, crouching and jumping and whatnot(while the balloon is in motion) and I haven't been able to replicate that error on either V2 or NH Version.
    EDIT: Also, can anyone confirm that engies are building things on the boat? I can't imagine they'd move with the boat, they would probably stay in the spot they were built on and float when the boat passes it, essentially rendering it useless. But if it is a problem, it is easy to fix.
    SteakNCheese, actually there is something you might be able to help with(once I'm closer to being finished). I (will) want to know the framerates you get on the NH version compared to V2. I can't trust my computer, because it has performance issues too often to be reliable. If you're still interested in helping a couple days from now, I'll give you the No Heroes Balloon Race .bsp so you can compare them.

12. SteakNCheese

SteakNCheese New Member

Yeah, Thats no problem. Heck, I will want to check out yours out anyway so I can gladly give you framerate

13. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

I'm sure Emily or Savage have some No Heroes logos/designs laying around somewhere, or Em could always make a new one.

14. SteakNCheese

SteakNCheese New Member

Engies are building things on the boat. Its hit or miss if they stay. I have not played the class on the map but I played for a good while today. The current V2 has its plus and its negatives. sudden death causes a glitch, where you just have to wait the time out to end the round. There is still excessive falling threw the boat. The sharks dont really help much with the sniper spamming. I dont know how they do it but there is also excessive pyro spam on the opponents ship

15. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

If we're going to go all the way with a customized version...we might want to see if we can get a good modeler to make some balloons with a custom No Heroes logo on them (think goodyear blimp).

We could also make some custom signs for in the spawn rooms With instructions, as well as info about NH (website address, ladders, etc.). I also always wanted to see a custom NH map with some gravestones marked with some names of groups we've passed by as we've grown:

(R.I.P. DiG) (R.I.P. MyTF2) (R.I.P. Gib$Ru$)

My biggest beef with this map is that it is simply ugly as hell. When you take a look at maps like Cashworks/aerospace, there has to be more that can be done to make them look like they are beyond alpha level.

At any rate...I appreciate Darth tackling a problem that the maps own creator seems incapable of fixing.

16. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

So according to him, its a problem with the source engine and players running into eachother... while that might explain why I haven't been able to fall through the boat on my own, it doesn't explain why this problem never (to my knowledge)occurred on Version one. So until it's proven, I'm not swallowing it.

I can just parent a nobuild to the boat and that wont be a problem.
    I think I remember that idea from a previous thread, but as far as modeling or putting custom textures/sounds/overlays into a map goes, I have no experience. I'm not unwilling to try it, but I don't know if I will be able to make it work or not.

Now there's an original idea. :lol: I don't suppose you could think of two more(groups), having one at each capture point+ the hangar could go in chronological order of us crushing and surpassing them :twisted: .

I'll take a look at those maps and see whats missing, and see what I can do. The biggest problem with this map is it's so damn open. The visleafs are huge, and putting in more objects could impact the framerate quite a bit.
    I know I said I wasn't going to drastically alter the map, but I think a change of scenery would do everybody some good.

17. boo

boo Guest

Darth, I think with all the work involved in trying to turn this map into something approaching finished you may as well start from starch. Th actual code for the balloon movement has been released, which is the hard part done.

18. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

You can always use this as the "learning tool" for the "next level" balloon race map (which I have a TON of ideas for). I'd love to see a balloon race which winds through canyons, with teams having alternative spawn points on cliff faces in front of the oncoming enemy's boat. Along with that, some unique structures/buildings built into the canyons that the boats would have to dock at and duke it out over (think Indiana Jones meets balloon race).

How cool would it be to have a map that has battles that can last 25-30 minutes just to get to the finish?

19. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Ok, sounds like you guys have a lot of ideas for an excellent balloon race map.
    What I'm thinking is, finish this map with a few extras but not any huge changes. When I'm done(which will be at the latest this weekend) I can start the new balloon race map, No Heroes *Ultimate Balloon Race.(or whatever we name it)
    This one can be called No Heroes Classic Balloon Race.
    So, here is what I'm planning to do for NH Classic BR-(changelog is what has already been done.)
    -Add more sharks (6 more so a total of 8 sharks will be patrolling the waters)
    -put in teleporters on cap. points 2 and 4
    -make the cubemaps
    -add in NH logos and instructions

I'm going to post in Signature and Art subforum to see if I can recruit any of our local artists to draw up some instructions for us.

20. SteakNCheese

SteakNCheese New Member

Now that would be an epic battle. Darth, you deserve mad respect for even attempting this. I been reading other forums where they talk about this map, alot of people say this map style is just too much work and very messy and they dont want to mess with it.