1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Phelps on a bong.

Discussion in 'General BS No One Cares About But You' started by Double Ds, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Ds

Double Ds New Member

2. Diplomat

Diplomat New Member

Media overreacted for sure, if anything it makes his Olympic run more impressive.

3. Hills

Hills Server Admin
    VIP

I agree with Diplomat. I don't see anything wrong with it.

4. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Regardless of how you feel about it (I've never seen the point), I doubt it was worth the millions in endorsement fees he just pissed away.

5. Hills

Hills Server Admin
    VIP

very true

6. Nello

Nello New Member

Yeah no doubt. i haven't heard anything else aboot it, but I doubt they're gonna do anything to him, celebs get all kinds of special treatment these days. :roll:

7. Talirand

Talirand New Member

i dont really care about it. to quote Craig Ferguson, "but hes not normal, hes the fastest swimmer the human race has ever created! let him hit the bong of he wants too." but yeah, totally not worth losing the endorsement deals.

i still giggle every time the news people say "marijuana pipe". just call it a bong for fucks sake!

8. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

i was listening to espn radio the other day and the guy was talking about all the endorsement deals he was losing. and the guy asked "what companies might get into endorsing him?" and i was thinking, well given all the free pub he just got for ROOR they would totally sign him up in a minute! but... he probably wouldn't go for it.
    well he got caught for drunk driving when he was 18 and it was a big deal for like a couple weeks and people got over it. i think the same thing will happen here... if it doesn't then i think it's pretty lame because taking a hit off a bong at a party is way less of an offense than drunk driving.

9. {EZLN} Legionnaire

{EZLN} Legionnaire New Member

If you saw the Olympic special on him, I guess this explains why he's always eating.....now talk about the munchiessss

10. kief__catcher

Server Admin

yeh, it was kellerman.

on a side note, i think espn radio should shut down all of its shows and just have doug gottlieb and max kellerman do a 2 man show 24/7. that would be awesome.

11. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

Is it weird that I don't really give a shit about this guy? I've seen a ton of interviews with him, and every one he comes off sounding like a functioning retard.

He can swim fast, he's half-retarded, and he smokes pot. America's "Golden Boy"...*scoff*

12. boo

boo Guest

Apparently he suffers from ADHD so your not far short, but I think thats an excuse for the real answer. The simple reason is that people are prepared to except any kind of bad behavior as long as he wins. Until some tells him to stop being a jerk, he will continue to behave like a jerk. This is a problem not exclusive to Phelps but common to a lot of sports, its about time they work out in the greater scheme of things they don't matter a dam.

13. kief__catcher

Server Admin

i'm not exactly sure how taking a hit off a bong makes you a jerk, but ok. i agree with airchrist, he sounds moderately retarded in any interview, and yeh, that is something you can say about a lot of athletes. he's spent so much time underwater holding his breath he's lost too many brain cells i guess.

14. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

To be clear, I really dislike most athletes. Not because they are "jocks", but because they have formed their identities around the sport they play. There's nothing interesting about Terrel Owens, Michael Phelps, or Michael Jordan. They play sports, they make ungodly amounts of money to "entertain" us simpletons, and when their bodies blow out(or burn enough bridges(Brett Favre)), we stop caring about them.

What I'm getting at is...
    Sports are nothing more than childrens games...for adults. While watching a game or two can be fun/entertaining, it should in no way be held on high(as it is). People who co-opt a personal identity through a sports team or act of "playing", are sad shallow vessels.

Case in point:(Scroll down for LULZ)
    View attachment 96

15. boo

boo Guest

Points at you, case proved. Seriously, the bong thing, like the DUI, is part of a pattern of behavior were he thinks the normal rules don't apply to him. There are at least 3 people on this forum who, if photographed like him, would lose their job there and then. Why shouldn't Phelps suffer the consequences after being caught taking an illegal drug.

16. kief__catcher

Server Admin

first of all, there is nothing wrong with smoking marijuana. it shouldn't be illegal, and it shouldn't be taboo. he was at a college party, visiting a girl he was hooking up with. the mistake he made that night was allowing someone to take his picture while he was hitting a bong (and once someone took the picture, not immediately snatching the camera and deleting the pic).
    he doesn't really have a job - and his primary source of income is through endorsements. as you said, one of our members might immediately lose their job if photographed like this, well his lost a few of his endorsement deals. so he essentially did lose his job, and 3 month suspension from US swimming facilities.

my biggest gripe about it is that it shouldn't be illegal, and it especially shouldn't be taboo.

i'm gonna have to disagree with you 100% on this one. first of all, what's wrong with their identities being formed around the sport they play? if i were freakishly talented and had a meal ticket guaranteeing me millions upon millions of dollars, i would probably milk that meal ticket for all it was worth. when you spend your entire life doing one activity, it's bound to become a core part of who you are. and you're not giving these athletes the benefit of the doubt. you're seeing them from the perspective of a citizen looking at a celebrity, but you're judging them as though you know their personalities and can easily say they don't have any. obviously the characterization of athletes made available to the public are always either something boring and positive, like they went to some charity event, or some stupid story about hardships, or something negative, like crimes committed or ignorant quotes. that's what makes news. you have little to no hope finding out what kind of person they actually are from watching the news, and it's rather ignorant in my opinion to say definitely that someone you don't know at all is not interesting at all.
    here's my example - politically and morally i think former pres W is a big fucktard. but at the same time, he seems like the kind of guy that would be great to party with. and if i were close to him and found out he did have a good personality, i wouldn't give a fuck about his politics. maybe this is a bad example.

and you're missing out completely on the sports thing. first of all, sports are not "child's games." sports are not specifically intended for kids, but they happen to be accessible to kids, which should of course be embraced. if you think it's stupid that people watch sports and support certain teams with most of their emotion and much of their paycheck, that's fine. but for hundreds of millions of people around the world sports serve as entertainment to both watch and play, as exercise to play, and in most places at least one sport is inexorably linked to patriotism and national pastime. to be a supporter of a certain team is to be a part of a community, and to be a supporter of a winning team, especially one that only recently has become a winning team, is such an ecstatic feeling. sorry if you think sports are a waste of time or money, but they mean a lot to a lot of people.
    people who "co-opt their personal identities" through a sport they play on a team? let's see.... you're playing a sport that's made you a multi-millionaire, a sport that (for many of the dumber athletes) basically exempted you from ever learning anything in school or having to do any schoolwork (this is probably one of the biggest problems with athletes), and in some cases you're playing on a successful team loved by millions, you talk to reporters every single day, you can watch television or listen to the radio and hear and see guys you've never even met or heard of yelling at each other about how stupid you are or how you aren't using the most of your abilities, but somehow you're shallow because the sport you play has become a part of your identity? no offense, big sexy, but i think THAT is retarded.

17. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Oh my God...I think I agree with almost everything Kief just said. Someone please come put a bullet in me.

As for someone's job becoming a major part of their identity...of course it does. I wasn't a soldier for a living - a soldier was what I was, and I can imagine any occupation that consumes so much of your life (such as being an entertainer, professional athlete, Cop, Doctor, etc. etc.), becomes a dominant part of your identity.

Hell...if someone told me they'd pay me a million bucks a year to stand on my head and fart nickels....I'd be "Savage the Professional Nickel Farter" in a hearbeat.

18. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

1. You're lumping the ability to make money off of "playing" a sport with being a being patriotic/being great in general.
    Catch/throw/kick a ball + Millions of dollars = money not well spent...
    2. If you'll notice, I said "most" athletes. People like Warrick Dunn are ones that don't get the attention/recognition, but are the athletes who put sports second to helping others and continue to be contributing members of society(without it being a publicity opportunity).
    3. Sports, and more specifically competition, have been around for thousands of years. But they are games, and they'll always just be games to pass time, to challenge, or to stay fit. I'm not arguing against athletics, but against the idolizing of sports "heroes".
    4. I'm not that big, and none taken.

EDIT: Nickle farting is actually a rather lucrative business...or so I hear.

And to clarify, I'm not anti-sports, just the business/financial arrangements of sports organizations/players.

19. boo

boo Guest

I'm not trying to debate the rights and wrongs marijuana. He got suspended for 3 months big deal, if it had been a normal person they would have lost their job full stop and any future employer checked their cv they would find out they got fired for illegal actions. The equivalent for him would be a permanent ban from competitive swimming and losing all his endorsements, basically fucked like anyone else.

On the wider point, remember O J Simpson, a great footballer but a moral idiot. That is the result of telling kids from the age 14-15 they are fantastic and when they fuck up like a normal kid, they face no action because they are really great at sport. Simpson is an extreme case, but look at the Marion Jones and Butch Reynolds. They are both products of system that rewards success at any price and doesn't care about how it is achieved. To take your argument to its extreme Keif, because most reports of Adolf Hitler describe him as personally charming you would be prepared to ignore the whole mass murder thing. I'm just saying that sportsman and women should be judged using the same criteria as the rest of us and no exceptions made because they are talented at one thing only.

20. AIRchrist

AIRchrist New Member

I say we lock this. Anyone with me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.