1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L4D Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'Left 4 Dead' started by Ph03nix, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Ph03nix

Ph03nix New Member

I don't know anything about this game, other than what I've read on this forum. Is it worth buying?

Now, it's multiplayer-only, correct? How exactly does this work? Do I need to find other people to play through the entire game with me, like co-op in other games?

2. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

The new content expected soon will make it a better value I think, but it is quite a fun game as-is. You're a VIP here so you shouldn't have trouble finding other people to play with. You can play a single-player campaign but I wouldn't really recommend it...it's more fun with three actual people as your teammates. L4D was on sale for like $25 a month or two ago and that was a supreme value: no idea if they'll do that again anytime soon though.

I'm not really sure how public lobbies work as I've only ever played with people that I know, but you or someone else creates a lobby and then other people fill the spots for the other players in your quartet. There's a vs mode that has room for 8 players as well.

Sorry about the disjointed thoughts but I haven't played it in a couple of months (too much TF2). I have been getting the itch to play it though.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that "L4D is now $27" thread. By all means, go pick it up!

3. wrestling396

wrestling396 VIP Supporter
    VIP

I just bought and am having alot of fun playing it. Playing on the internet takes a couple minutes to get used to I think but it is very fun.

4. Capella

Capella New Member

Yeah there are single player missions. But after them it is on-line real people time which use the same single player maps. It is VERY different than TF2, in fact you have to very much unlearn strafing because of friendly fire. Teamwork is a BIG deal. The learning curve is steep. But the game is fun if you like killing lots of zombies. If the price is discounted it might be worth a try, you will either like it or not like it.

Capella

5. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

^^fixed.

With the aforementioned content coming out, if you get it now, you might have an ever so slightly smaller learning curve in versus because of the two "new" campaigns (a sequential set of 5 maps). I say "new" because they have always been playable in co-op 4-player and single-player. So you see, a lot of people will have to take a while to come up with the best strategies for those maps all over again when playing against human opponents, and this could even the playing field for newer players a little bit. And I guarantee you'll be playing these two "new" campaigns almost exclusively for at least a month because everyone has been dying for some change.

If $27, or whatever it is right now, is no skin off your back, then just buy it - especially if you like zombie movies and etc.

6. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

Great point! To me, playing this game feels EXACTLY like starring in Dawn of the Dead from 2004. If you liked that movie at all then you will certainly get a kick out L4D. It'll be really really realllly cool to see what kind of custom Mall campaigns people come out with once once people get the hang of the SDK!

Perhaps we'll even see this soon:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpAhJ0q9SIw[/youtube]