1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L4D UPDATE 4/21/09

Discussion in 'Left 4 Dead' started by Savage, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

All servers have been updated. Unfortunately, Valve has continued their tradition of failing to properly test their patches, and all Windows-based servers are now unjoinable.

I expect another "emergency patch" sometime tonight.

2. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

The update has also broken the "practice mode" thing for those of you who ever used it.

3. Didn't even know there was one. Sucks that the servers are down though. Typical Valve.

4. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Emergency patch applied. All servers should now be up and running. Please report any problems in this thread.

5. Garoun (BlazeWolfe)

Garoun (BlazeWolfe) Server Admin
    Server Admin

I got a Survival game or 4 in this morning around 1am and the server was running wonderfully.

Not a problem, but a thumbs up can be just as important as a "it's not working" :).

6. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Took a look at all 8 server logs this morning....not a single Crash since the "emergency patch", so it looks promising.

That's not to say, of course, that I'm done looking for ways to increase server performance, but at the moment, that appears to be software-limited, as we're still below 50% of resource utilization on that box.

7. Garoun (BlazeWolfe)

Garoun (BlazeWolfe) Server Admin
    Server Admin

Of the 3 people we had online; the two of us on the East Coast were sitting solid around 30-40 and the other from the West Coast was a very respectable 130.

I also noticed:

• [*:1938oyeq]My search key worked like a charm, use to take upwards of 5min or had to force a server ip
      [*:1938oyeq]No weird spikes or lagouts
      [*:1938oyeq]People on my friends list that didn't have the search key we able to join easily (use to not accept non-keyed invites unless I changed it to public)

Patch is certainly looking promising and you performance tweaks seem solid as always.

8. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

Yeah, I have to say that the server(s) were performing top notch as soon as the emergency patch was applied. We got a good long Dead Air versus in without a hitch (other than my computer crashing on me once). That is one long campaign.

9. Guest

The length is one of the reasons why I love Dead Air so I can't wait to give that a spin in versus this weekend; but on the topic of the servers however, the many attempts we had on survival mode earlier were played without a single hitch. Very impressive. :)