1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L4D Community Autoexec.cfg

Discussion in 'Left 4 Dead' started by A. Bettik, Mar 25, 2009.

1. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

For those of you unaware, there is a very well thought out and maintained autoexec.cfg available for download that adds some very nice features to L4D, IMO. You can read all about it and download it from HERE.

Some highlights include:

• [*:17qmdim4]Increased server connection timeout to 60 seconds (fully editable to whatever amount of time you want)
      [*:17qmdim4]Optional netcode optimizations for smoother play on servers you have a good connection to (

2. GlaDOS V1.09

GlaDOS V1.09 New Member

where do i put the config?

3. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

All the info you need on how to install and customize it is in the thread I linked to. Anyway, you install it by simply placing it in the "Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\cfg" folder. Remember to put the NH search key in it if you're going to use it as your autoexec.cfg!

4. GlaDOS V1.09

GlaDOS V1.09 New Member

On a side note, you probably want to make the autoexec.cfg read only, just as you would the config.cfg. And remove the search key and any admin binds out of there as well. (Wouldn't it conflict?) And place them in the autoexec.

5. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

Remove them from the autoexec.cfg and place them in the autoexec? i'm confused. But no, there would be no conflicts or need to make your autoexec.cfg read-only.

6. GlaDOS V1.09

GlaDOS V1.09 New Member

Nooooooo.... out of the cofig.cfg

7. Garoun (BlazeWolfe)

Garoun (BlazeWolfe) Server Admin
    Server Admin

The config.cfg will always be loaded and updated by the engine which was the reason we use to say set it to read-only, but your autoexec.cfg and any files it calls via exec will be loaded after the config.cfg runs. So anything in your autoexec.cfg will be saved to the config.cfg file and be treated as your 'current settings' in game.

Things like your admin binds and search key could be put in a file called "noheroes.cfg" and then at the bottom of your autoexec.cfg add the command: exec noheroes.cfg

8. GlaDOS V1.09

GlaDOS V1.09 New Member

Ok that makes more sense. I thought that perhaps it would conflict with 2 identical lines in to config's