1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kids?

Discussion in 'Left 4 Dead' started by Zind, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

So this was a really random thought, admittedly, but why are there no young zombies?!

Did the dev team ever talk about this? Was the infection immediately lethal to anyone younger than 25 or so? Seriously, I think some 8-16 year old zombie kids would be quick, spry, and creepy as hell.

I dunno, I'm probably just weird, but oh well.

2. Xabu

Xabu Guest

Not sure where to begin here...

Ok remember from second Resident Evil movie, that reporter getting mauled by all those little kids? It wasn't really scary or frightening, it just made you stand up and yell WAIT WHAT? in the theater? It's just not kosher.

Also kid zombies would have much smaller hitboxes and table zombies are dangerous enough as is, we don't need their entire body fitting into a static_prop, being an unkillable turret of zombie doom.

3. seeyouinhell

seeyouinhell Head Admin
    Head Admin

I wouldn't feel right shooting kid zombies. I would have to toss out a pipebomb and let them play with it.

4. macejr4

macejr4 New Member

kids are generally left out of the "things you can kill" category, thus no kid zombies.

5. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

i would LOVE to have a chance to shoot kid zombies.

this topic actually reminds me of a couple good stoner ice-breakers. i'm not saying i would ever do this in real life, but in a hypothetical situation, if i saw like a 3 or 4 year old kid standing in the mall, if i ran up to him and kicked him as hard as i could in the torso, how far do u think he would fly? do u think he'd be lifted in the air at all? i think i could get about 3 or 4 feet vertical and maybe 5 or 6 feet distance.

also, how many kids do u think me and one other guy could take in a fight (no holds barred) before being overtaken? like 6 year old kids. i'm thinking like maybe 15 or so? 20?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZgg85-dBJM[/youtube]

best scene from step brothers by far.

6. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

Yeah, I knew that'd be a problem, but there will always be bugs.

I know this is probably one of the reasons the dev team has, if not the main one, and it pisses me off, just as much as the inability to kill a kid in Fallout 3. These are M-rated games, and I don't see how killing children is any more 'taboo' than wantonly killing adult citizens (for Fallout); and for L4D, they're just one more creepy thing that you need to kill before they kill you.

But yeah, I figured that was probably the main reason, I was largely just wondering if the dev team ever covered that in the story or 'flavor' aspect of the game. (What WoW players would call 'lore.')

http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/fight5 EDIT: I got 31.

7. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Guest

Just get the 360 version if you want to kill a bunch of kids. Warning if you thought hunter screams were annoying just want until you hear the 11year-olds rant about naruto and halo.
    I know it isnt what you wanted, but hey you get to "kill" kids all the same :D

8. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

It's funny you mentioned this because I guess I always assumed the witch was a teenager. I means, she is pretty tiny compared to the survivors, no? Anyway, I agree with the statement about the no-kill list being the reason. But I also agree that it would add to the creepiness of the game if there were child/teenage zombies. Anyone remember how creepy Gage was in Pet Sematary with that scalpel? I may not agree with killing child/teenage zombies being too taboo, but this is why you don't kill baby zombies:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6qKOIRL00[/youtube]

Also, I do think there was discussion about this with Valve in a magazine somewhere. They also covered the absence of zombie animals if I remember correctly. That's a better question if you ask me. Zombie animals can be super scary. I'm pretty sure they gave an answer similar to your theory of the virus being lethal to non-adults/animals and/or them being immune to it.

9. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

OH FUCK THE NAZIS HAVE ZOMBIE DOGS?!?!

Man. I kinda miss Wolfenstein now.

but on that track, I honestly never even thought about animals. Zombie dogs would be scary as hell. Imagine Blood Harvest, having like a zombie mountain lion or bear come runnin' out of the woods at you o__o I'd probably pee a little.

10. Emily

Emily Guest

Dude... That movie scared the bejesus out of me. That baby deserved to get whacked. Also, don't they kill the kid vampire in 30 Days of Night? I had my face in my pillow throughout most of it, but I think there's a part where they stumble upon this girl eating this dead body, and then she starts attacking the survivors and they cut her head off with an axe.

11. Dyobolikal

Dyobolikal New Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28mtJa2ORps[/youtube]

pregnant zombies would be intense...

12. GlaDOS V1.09

GlaDOS V1.09 New Member

Little Gage makes me think of my baby :( So does the last vid posted :*(

13. Guest

Children could make an interesting new enemy. Somthing along the lines of the witch where you run into them once in a level and they could be avoided but as opposed to being stationary they wonder around in a group of like 5 or 6.

Maybe somthing like they are very strange but somewhat coherent and they insist you stay with them in a certain area for a certain amount of time and if you do they won't attack....if you attack them or disobey them they freak out and attack. They could have a lot of health and their attack could be that they cling to you (slowing you down the more there are, similar to standard zombie swips) and scream real loud to attract a hord.

14. Garoun (BlazeWolfe)

Garoun (BlazeWolfe) Server Admin
    Server Admin

Yep, and I believe it was a shovel while two of them held her up against the wall. For those that haven't haven't seen that movie it's well worth the watch; they don't make vampire flicks like that anymore :).

15. Ragnarok-RgB

Ragnarok-RgB New Member

If only the censors wouldn't be so uptight about killing kids lol

I felt bad in games like fallout 3 and fable when i kill entire towns and the kids are left all alone, because they are immortal

also

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ2_vafBtwg[/youtube]

16. sighmon

sighmon Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

what was the recent horror movie that had the kid demon crawling across the ceiling? l4d should have those. kid zombies that zip across the ceiling and drop down and chew on your melon.

17. Guest

babies crawling on ceilings will forvever be associated with trainspotting...could you be thinking of that scene? I know it's not a horror film nor is it recent but thats the only time I can think of where a creepy baby said nuts to gravity and decided the ceiling was its new friend.

18. Ragnarok-RgB

Ragnarok-RgB New Member

That scene was so freaking weird also great movie