1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to open/edit .dem files in Windows?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Shadowstorm, May 30, 2009.

1. Shadowstorm

Shadowstorm New Member

I know there's a way to do it - can someone refresh my memory? I have several .dem files I'd like to edit within Windows. Can someone point me to a program that will open/edit them?

2. DrNipples

DrNipples New Member

The only thing I know is to record with Fraps and then use some type of editing software like Windows Movie Maker to cut it all together, which is what I did in the past.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rrP8pB0ICw[/youtube]

3. m0nk3y420

m0nk3y420 New Member

that's the only way i know of editing them too , the demos you record don't contain any video , just data for the game engine to read and display.
    so get fraps , play the demo in TF2 , record the parts you want (fraps will record .avi files) , then use a video editor to fix it up and piece it together.

it can be a pain , but it works :wink:

4. DrNipples

DrNipples New Member

Yeah, and you might want to have some space on your HD, a 10 second Fraps recording in default .avi format is about 500 megs

5. Shadowstorm

Shadowstorm New Member

Okay, I'd like to compress a 1.24 GB video file into something manageable. I looked around on the TF2 wiki and didn't really get anywhere substantial. My goal is to upload it to youtube. Someone care to remind me?

6. DrNipples

DrNipples New Member

Is it just a .dem file that you recorded? What I did was splice different short clips together in Windows Movie Maker. All together it was about 3 minutes long, as to fit the song I put over it, and was only 18.5 megs.

If that's what you're wanting to do, use Fraps to cut small clips from your demo when you watch it, then arrange those clips on WMM or something similar and all that jazz.

7. m0nk3y420

m0nk3y420 New Member

here's a youtube vid showing you how to compress avi's using windows movie maker :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqgrre8vs-8[/youtube]