1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helm's Deep

Discussion in 'TF2 Mapping' started by Drunk Guy, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Drunk Guy

Drunk Guy Guest

So, there should be a payload map called Helm's deep, based off the map. I mean, honestly, the cart would start at the bottom of the winding entrance ramp, go through the doors and up through the outer keep, into the inner keep, up those winding pathways and up the stairs, and into the actual building where Aragorn & co rode out. There should be a destructible wall on the far left, as an alternate route to clear the outer wall, and the walls should be high with ladders only on the outside.

There is no point to this topic, except my realization that this should theoretically already exist, and wouldn't even be too complicated. I should learn mapping.

Also, there is no reason for anyone to attempt this, or even respond to this thread. I just think it would be a hella good blueprint for a payload map.

Okay, good. *walks off*

2. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Wanna draw me a blueprint? With picture references? Pretty please... :grin:

3. Muscles O Draves

Muscles O Draves Active Member

If I can learn mapping well enough, I promise you I will make this for sure. It would be epic.

Wow, it's such a great idea.

4. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

I'm not sure if this is possible, but there IS a Helm's deep map for Age of Chivalry, and if it's possible to decompile that and retexture with TF2 textures, add in the cart, and optimize and all that, then it would cut down on the hard part of the process (maybe, I know nothing of mapping, so that might not be the hard part).

5. Kippy

Kippy New Member

DO WANT

6. the_mad_magyar

the_mad_magyar New Member

That does indeed sound epic...

You could even have the wall breach be triggered when the cart reaches a certain point to coincide with the movie.

However the part that made that battle so epic was the fact that the defenders were so severely outnumbered. I don't think you would be able to truly replicate that feeling if the teams are even. If anything, the attackers will have the impossible mission of dealing with all the sniper, rocket, sentry and grenade fire raining down from the tops of those walls.

7. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

I'm sure there's some sort of mod or plugin or setting that would set the teams to like 12vs20 or something like that :p

EDIT: Of course, that could be easily taken care of as well just by giving defenders a long respawn time, and instant on attackers, to keep the 'onslaught' feel to it.

EDIT EDIT: Also, if this is done, I want to see the Heavy reskinned as a Cave troll.
    unrelated: it also occurs to me that cave troll would be an awesome reskin for the l4d tank.

8. Kippy

Kippy New Member

"They have a Cave Troll."

9. the_mad_magyar

the_mad_magyar New Member

I was thinking that to. It could be a few capture points. The courtyard area could be one, the gate on top of the ramp, and of course the main chamber, whatever it was.

Come to think of it, tt times Avanti has that kind of impossible mission feel. Except it ends up feeling impossible for blue instead of red. So maybe a CTF/CP hybrid would also work with the Helm's Deep theme.

10. Kippy

Kippy New Member

Is it possible to have multiple payloads in one map? Separate tracks, of course. For example, one for the initial forming up of the opposition, to the wall. Then, one for the push to breach the wall (olympic torch runner dive into the explosive-filled drain). A point to hold at the top of wall. Perhaps another cart starts from the breach point in the wall, up to the keep wall (bringing up the battering ram). Is there a mechanic for having to hold a cart at a point, to capture it, for a consecutive period of time? (keeping the cart/ram at the keep door for ~10 seconds(or so), or just have a separate point to capture, when the payload reaches the top of the ramp?)

Then, a final capture point that takes 10 or so seconds to cap, at the inner keeps door?

This could be pretty awesome, if you ask me, but I imagine it would be quite a task to create, or at least, do right.

11. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

That's kinda what balloon race is, except it's not having the cart there that caps it, it's still a battle to cap while the cart is there, which would be probably even more like the desperate battle we're going for.

12. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

@kippy
    Yes, yes, and yes. All possible, just going to be annoying keeping the entities and control point indexes in line.

13. wrestling396

wrestling396 VIP Supporter
    VIP

There was only a few really good helms deep on SC one of them I had the whole wall breach and secret caves and what ever else.

14. [RqN]SltrHouseKng

[RqN]SltrHouseKng New Member

theres an amazing helms deep map for wolfenstein ET.

maybe dl that game (its free) and get the map and just play it by yourself to get ideas as well.

15. Thrift.

Thrift. New Member

There is a Helms Deep map for Cs:s and Left 4 Dead. I don't know if you can copy a map from one game.

Here is the L4D one http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=1274, I can upload the Cs:s one if I need to, if I still have it on my computer.

16. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Wow. That looks... amazing.

17. Thrift.

Thrift. New Member

Agreed. I have yet to play it though. It is on my 'to-do' list. The on in Cs:s was pretty cool too. It had a battering-ram that you could push and it broke the front door to the castle. And there was a bomb site or an event you could do to breach the wall.

As for TF2, it would be fun to snipe from that tower / the walls. And demo man spaming pipe bombs over the walls.

18. [RqN]SltrHouseKng

[RqN]SltrHouseKng New Member

that looks EXACTLY like the helms deep map for Wolfenstein... i mean pretty damn exact... other then i played the wolfenstein HD map like 2-3 years ago lol, i'll find it or frap it or something.