1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Egypt?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by BoxExplosion, Feb 27, 2009.

1. BoxExplosion

BoxExplosion New Member

Any plans on incorporating the new CP Egypt into perhaps the dustbowl server? I looked around the forum but didn't see it mentioned.

Thanks!

2. Drunk Guy

Drunk Guy Guest

If anywhere, it would go in the... wait, wait.

I don't like Egypt.

>.>

3. Teeony

Teeony Server Admin

I had fun on it when we still had the custom map server up. Though it is not good for playing on for long periods of time imho.

4. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Egypt is not a new map...it's been around for over 6 months, and it's a proven server killer.

5. Drunk Guy

Drunk Guy Guest

this.

Basically egypt is cool, but nobody stays on it for long. It's just really bland.

6. Cappabitch

Cappabitch New Member

I loved Egypt ;o; But yeah, it doesn't appeal to some players. Why, I dunno, but it's not a map that gets played for hours at a time.

It's like Gravelpit. GP is a fucking amazing map, but people would rather play DBowl.

7. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

We may eventually launch a dedicated "Attack/Defend" map server that includes maps like gravelpit. well, egypt, etc....but we'll need a bit of a stronger daily traffic base before I'm comfortable doing that.

8. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Maybe on a dedicated attack/defend server as I mentioned above, but one of resident mappers would have to fix that last point glitch first.

9. Amakiir

Amakiir New Member

What was the bug? Maybe I can fix it.

10. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

i really enjoyed blackmesa also. the bug was (i can't remember for sure which side but i think it was) the last capture point for blue could not be defended by standing on the cap. that is, the attacking team could capture while the defending team was standing on the point, so the only way to defend it was to kill the attackers.

11. Amakiir

Amakiir New Member

Hm, I think I know how to fix that. Any idea where I can get the version of the map we used?

12. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Look in your own map folder. Unless you deleted it, it should still be there.

13. Amakiir

Amakiir New Member

Yeah, but it would be nice to have a noncompiled version of the map, decompiling can cause errors. Also, I dont have the map anymore. Is it blackmesa version 1.0 from fpsbanana?

14. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Something in that last point's trigger_capture_area must be turned off. Those doors might need to be re-triggered. Those are the bomb props for detail use only, there isn't a collision model.

15. Amakiir

Amakiir New Member

I can fix these issues in a matter of minutes. As soon as I install JRE (apparently I forgot to :???: )

Okay, I think I fixed blackmesa. I'm compiling it now to test it out. The capture zone for blu was entirely, entirely wrong. Like.... it wasn't even remotely close to correct. I'm honestly surprised red was able to cap at all..

16. GlaDOS V1.09

GlaDOS V1.09 New Member

Why does this not surprise me. I loved that map. I spent hrs on the server, as a matter of fact its the reason I vip'd in the first place I think.

I could hug you Amikiir!

17. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

Make sure you rename the map.

18. killerz

killerz New Member

Same here! I used to play that map exclusively after I ditched 2fort. I would love to see this map make a comeback.

19. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Guest

I really like the idea of a attack/defend server. I love gravel_pit, dustbowl, and steel. Like wise 5cp maps are great. Sometimes I will play on stock servers just to enjoy them, but alas they always seems to go to Hydro and my gawd hydro is just one huge stalemate. I have never played Blackmesa, or for that matter Egypt and Junction so it would be great to try these out in lag-free glory.
    Good luck with the map edit.

20. Amakiir

Amakiir New Member

Its going to take more work than I expected. I fixed a bunch of things, but everything I fix seems to make something else break. Now I know how valve feels. :shock: The map is horribly, horribly optimized, so I spent about an hour working on that. There were about as many textures that are totally worthless as textures that can be seen, so I removed many of them. I still need to go back and remove the rest. As predicted, the L and K textures did not survive the decompile, so I need to find them/make new ones to go with the map. I figured out why the capture point doesn't work, but my fix caused a slight bug that I need to go back and fix. I fixed the bombs so you cannot walk through/hide in them anymore. I fixed the special doors, but then went back and rigged them always open for map testing purposes. So I will need to go back and rig them to only open under certain circumstances again. If you'd like, I could add more content to the map. I was thinking about completely reworking the ducts and whatnot to make them more complicated/more entertaining. I wont touch them unless people generally agreed upon it, though.

Honestly, this map is poorly made. It has a lot of errors. Almost as many errors as Warpath. Its somewhat frustrating to look at. I will fix as much of it as I can, no promises. It may take weeks to tweek everything into a more presentable and fully working map. Problems run deeper than just that one point not working correctly, trust me.