1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effing idlers

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by AnalogAnomaly, May 30, 2009.

1. AnalogAnomaly

AnalogAnomaly New Member

Okay, so even with the milestones implemented there are STILL some fucktards who come in just to idle and weapon whore. On most servers this gets taken care of by the reserved slot system, and if not someone eventually uses !callforhelp. That said there are still fuckers who will come in, join a team, and immediately idle. It happens on most if not all the maps and on some of them can be very detrimental to gameplay, forcing stalemates from sudden death rounds, taking up useful slots, and filling servers that would otherwise have a slot or two (in some cases three or four) open. It's my understanding now that if the server isn't full there's no reason for an admin to handle it, and as such I haven't used the !callforhelp function unless they are idle and the server is full. (other times though i've been unable to join a server like sniper_duel because of it) Though, to relieve administrative overhead, and get this idling whores off the servers where they cause stalemates, take up otherwise useful player slots, etc- I was wondering if there's a reason NH hasn't implemented the built-in idle player handler?

There are two cvars that determine how idle players are handled.

mp_idledealmethod =
    =0 -off
    =1 -transfers idle player to spec then kicks them if they're still idle
    =2 -flat out Kicks them upon idle

mp_idlemaxtime =
    The value of this cvar declares the maximum time a player is allowed to be idle(in minutes) before being kicked by the idle handler.

The default value of mp_idledealmethod is 0.
    I don't recall the default value of mp_idlemaxtime.

If mp_idledealmethod is set to 1, instead of kicking them, it moves them into spectator where they can rejoin the game if they return before the time runs out. Once in spectator, if you don't join a team in mp_idlemaxtime, you will be kicked. Even if you move the mouse around, or change players you are watching. If you are forced into spectator, you will be kicked if you don't join a team.
    So if you do idledealmethod 1, whatever you set mp_idlemaxtime to, figure that double that time is how long it will take someone who is AFK to be completely kicked out. People who join spectator as a team won't get kicked. This means someone recording a demo, or an admin watching the server, etc- doesn't have to worry about being idle kicked.

My question is why hasn't this (or a plugin that offers additional functionality) been implemented to reduce administrative overhead and player frustration with idle-whoring assgoblins... yes assgoblins, little fucking trolls crawling out of someone's rancid puss spewing beef-taco-looking anus to wreak havoc by joining my team (or the enemy team) and immediately going AFK in spawn or an area unreachable by the enemy thus taking away a useful slot and forcing stalemates during SUDDEN MOTHERFUCKING DEATH. *RAGES*

okay seriously though, I'm curious as to the reason it hasn't been implemented. I expect there is a good reason (like a flaw or potential downside/incompatability that i'm unaware of) I'd like to know. After all- knowing is half the battle G.I. Joeeee!!! -a real american hero

2. Guest

While I'm not knowledgeable on the reasons behind not implementing such a feature, I'd like to say that the callforhelp system has been used recently to alert administrators of a few idlers on servers taking up player slots. It's best to report to bring it to an admin's attention as it's what the system is for. :)

3. AnalogAnomaly

AnalogAnomaly New Member

I've used it myself but have been told nothing can be done about idlers unless the server is full. Though I've seen savage come in and layeth the smacketh down a few days ago (before the achievement update) on a server with a lot of idle spectators (when the server wasn't full)much to the joy of everyone playing who within minutes had a nice heaping bowl of new teammates and enemies.

Having been told that though, I'd rather not abuse the !callforhelp command because of an idler or two. After all, admins don't play TF2 just to admin, they're players like everyone else and would like to get to actually play the damn game as opposed to getting called over to kick idlers or spectate alleged hackers all the time. Admins exist to get rid of the riff-raff and keep the game enjoyable, not to babysit.

I figured the idlers would stop once the achievement update hit, and yet it continues, hence my question.

4. wrestling396

wrestling396 VIP Supporter
    VIP

People will idle in game regardless of the game and what is happening because they are just idiots that rather use electricity and are to lazy to open the game when they get on there computer or to lazy to wait 20 seconds or how ever long it takes to enter the game.

Also welcome to being a VIP

5. Capella

Capella New Member

I cannot speak for the other NH servers, but keep in mind Orange had a couple of idlers per team most of the time long before the update. So not a lot has changed other than the NH servers are getting very popular and they fill up and stay full, which leads to non-VIP players doing their best not to be bumped off, since they usually cannot get back on if they don't have a reserved slot. But, if the afks are effecting gameplay, then by all means use callforhelp.

C

6. AnalogAnomaly

AnalogAnomaly New Member

Orange did have one or two idlers before the update, but they were playing, had to afk for something and eventually came back. What they did not do was join, pick a team, and immediately idle in spawn. Every server has people go idle for one reason or another but not for 21+ hours as i've seen on sniper duel, or the bitch that EVERY FUCKING NIGHT hops on ballon race, picks a team, and idles in spawn, comes back to do the same right after the map change. She might play a round or two right before she leaves, but she does this shit for three or more god damn maps straight when there are only a few players on. so what should be 3v3 or 3v4 we get stuck with two players while the other team has 3 or 4. I don't mind a one offset or even stacked teams like 5 v 8 or 5v9 (so long as there are enough players to attempt the objective) but taking up a slot like that just to take up a slot and get free items safely is a one hell of a bitch move. *rage* I've seen this happen on sniper duel late at night as well. If you're going to item whore and idle at least fucking do it in spec where you're not fucking with anyone's teams. RAWR

As far as I know I have yet to see someone get away with crap like this on Warpath, which I just got finished spycapping and pyro rushing the everliving shit out of :lol:

on a related note, this repeat offender. Could something be done if I demo this bitch pulling this kinda crap?

7. M1k3yD

M1k3yD New Member

I think that the new achievement system brought attention to the already present problem. I don't think people should be able to AFK purposely in-game for any reason, VIP, admin, or not. If you're not playing for more than two minutes, gtfo. In those two minutes some other player could have joined and defended the intel or capped some points or something.

8. D15C0

D15C0 New Member

I'm not quite sure if this even happens anymore (I work until midnight so I'm not up in the mornings) but we used to have people idling in-game to get the ball rolling on filling the servers up. Used to be that around noon or so, you might find servers starting to fill up with some idlers taking up valuable spots.

I think this is a noble cause for idling, but again, not sure if this is even occurs anymore. I know that I usually find at least a few of our servers full at 6AM EST when I go to sleep, so for all I know they stay full around the clock now.

9. Garoun (BlazeWolfe)

Garoun (BlazeWolfe) Server Admin
    Server Admin

I'll let Savage or one of the other Head Admins speak officially on the matter, but in my personal opinion if someone is consistently idling it's still important to report them so there is a record of habitual offense on file should additional measures decide to be taken.

Granted, don't go around reporting everyone because they stepped away for a quick break, simply use common sense. :)

10. Guest

Well I'm not sure how many of you use it, but I know whenever Nuronya is on and notices idlers on her/our team she'll make sure to lobby for everyone to kick them. So you could always try to votekick?

11. SniperNoSniping

SniperNoSniping No Heroes VIP
    VIP

I usually make a note for people to votekick afkers in arena if they are the last ones alive so the winning team gets a clue and doesnt spend 3 minutes searching for the afker and simply caps the point.. but usually djmafia is there fast enough anyways

12. AnalogAnomaly

AnalogAnomaly New Member

I'm not sure you read my post. In the example given teams were 3v3 or 3v4. At minimum there must be 11 players on the server for a votekick to succeed. The reason? 10 have to vote kick the person (bare minimum, increases with number of players connected) and you can't votekick yourself so 10+1(the guy/gal getting voted against)=11. With 6 or 7 players TOTAL on the server a votekick is impossible.

My apologies if I made any sense here.

13. Guest

To be honest, I usually just "browse" through paragraph long posts...sorry :oops: