1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Districts

Discussion in 'TF2 Mapping' started by [X6] Herbius, May 31, 2009.

1. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

OK, I've just polished off two TF2 maps that are ready for playing. There's Cp_Districts and Ctf_Districts which have basically the same layout but play differently (as if you didn't know.)

Cp_districts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ctf_Districts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow. From those screenshots you'd think I actually did a good job. :grin:

OK, I would have these up on FPSBanana but some twat got the CTF taken down apparently because it was a "double post" and the other one's disappeared to hell somewhere without my knowing.

CP: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tkmtzdmkonh

CTF: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?to4nnfmgkeg

If you thought they were worthy of hosting that'd be great. :grin:

2. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

I'll look them over for you.

3. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

4. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Okay, this map needs some help. (I would say "these", but it's basically just one)

1st - Layout
    I consider myself moderately intelligent, but I was completely lost in a matter of seconds. The spawn areas are not clearly defined, nor are the exits marked. That funky spiral-crossback thing had me running in circles looking for an exit.

Once I escaped the spawn I was looking for stuff like cover from enemies or another capture point.
    Where the hell is it? On the roof.
    So I kept on going to find that long hall with 4 capture points in it. I have no idea how you intended this to work, but a good sniper or 5 will just clear it out. Also those caps are really close together and the players will be confused, especially since it locks everything up but the one being fought over.

I captured a bunch of them (cap times are too long for those to be central to the battle, they should change teams rather quickly) and tried to move into the Blu area.

Those double door things... Uh... No idea. Cut em.

My knowledge of my own irregularly located capture point helped me out once I made it through those doors. (airlock? :???: )
    The side paths to the fenced in area on the second floor are too small, one player will push the other right off, spies will have no chance.

I capped the roof.

5. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

OK, Thanks for the feedback. :wink: I think the thing was that the original map was loosely based on ctf_chaos (just the starting area if you see what I mean; I added the warehouse then cloned and rotated the starting area to make it for the other team), so it wasn't intended right from the off to play like it does now. I'll work on it for the next couple of days and fix stuff up.

Would the cleanup need to occur for the CTF version as well? I'm feeling that that map might be a little too large, too.

6. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

The ctf map you should probably just scrap. You might be able to get away with taking one of these areas:
    [​IMG]
    and shrinking it, copy/flip and making that the whole map.

7. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

Cool. Thanks for the valuable reviewing time. :grin:

I've currently been working my butt off for five and a half hours solid (pretty much) to transform the CP version, and it's looking a lot better. I've changed the layout so that the warehouse houses 1 point, the adjacent areas have 1 for Blu and Red and there's an extra area behind with a nice vista (Blu - valley, Red - mine) which has the final point. I've got rid of the "airlocks" ;) and moved the spawn room to a better, more recognisable position.

I've also got screenshots but I'm posting from my iPod ATM and can't copy/paste the links. :(

8. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

Well, that's annoying.

Good news: I finally got to a point where Cp_Districts_V2 was ready to be playtested. The only problem was some lag when I looked down the length of the map from one end, which I was determined to resolve.

Bad news: My uses of areaportals were useless. Since each set of areaportals to separate the "districts" were on the same plane, they were merged which resulted in effectively 4 massive areaportals in my map, which did crap all for culling the geometry I wanted them to. Hence, I did some analysis and figured out that my whole, linear layout of the map was wrong. Lol. :???: The area after area after area layout left no real possibility for culling faces (which incidentally was what the "airlock" doors were supposed to achieve along with areaportals) and so I am analysing the viability of converting the layout to an S-shape where the vista areas can be reached from the sides of the areas with the bridges, instead of having things end-to-end. I think this could be accomplished without too much difficulty, although it would mean I would have metaphorically taken 300 steps forward and then 200 steps back.

So, here goes another three full days of effort. God I hope it's worth it. :grin:

9. Proven

Proven Community Veteran

Everything is worth it, look at all the experience you are getting from hacking this through. You are learning, which is a very special thing. I'd also like to compliment the fact you can take criticism, not many people can do that.

The screenshots look amazing, I can't wait to play this.

10. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

Thanks for the kind words. :grin: Yeah, I do believe that criticism is important since it's hardly ever unfounded and tells you what would make your work even better. Valuable pointers. :wink:

11. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

A friend and I both looked at this yesterday and I forgot to post about it, sorry.

If you're re-configuring the layout then pretty much everything I would suggest is a moot point. I'll just see the next version. :grin:

12. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

OK, after a lot of work behind the scenes over the weekend and this evening, I've got the layout finished and added a few of the detail highlights. Detail is not my strongest point, since I tend to sacrifice it over performance, but I'm making a special effort, once the main mapping is finished, to make the place actually look interesting, and prop fade distances and correct applications of areaportals take care of the performance side of things.

I've got some screenshots now of the 5 different areas and, not to boast :wink:, but I think they're looking pretty sweet.

Blu Finale Cliffside:
    [​IMG]

Blu Intermediate Area:
    [​IMG]

Central Warehouse:
    [​IMG]

Red Intermediate Area:
    [​IMG]

Red Finale Mines:
    [​IMG]

If there's anything you like/think could be improved from looking at these, please say as now is the best time for me to tweak things. Many thanks for your support so far. :grin:

13. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

I'd love to test it. Soon.

14. Truckincowboy

Truckincowboy Head Admin
    Head Admin

screen shots look cool man like bclose said get a test going.

15. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

I have now uploaded what is pretty much the final version of the map, just sans-HDR because I wanted to make sure I had got everything exactly right before I spent a half hour doing a HDR final compile. It is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jjgeyn2ntwz

Some notes from my previous post (this is about the only thing that might need modification):

Indeed it is. Oh, and spot the secret green sign, if you can... :wink:

EDIT: Oops,I forgot to Pakrat the texture with the map. :oops: It's too late now in UK so I'll fix it tomorrow.

16. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

Anyone? I appreciate you've got busy lives but it would be great if you could approve this. :smile:

17. Proven

Proven Community Veteran

Our mappers are on vacation - literally - and should be back in touch soon.

18. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

OK, cool. :grin:

19. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

Something else I noticed this evening - capping points doesn't add time like it should do. I'll fix this in the final final.

20. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Exactly. :lol:

I will look at it soon.