1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demo strategy?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by King, May 16, 2009.

1. King

King Guest

Demoman is truly a great class with incredible balance on both defense and offense. As I'm still looking for a class that I can play rather than Sniper and Medic, Demoman is my first choice. We don't have a demo guide made up yet, would some of the pros give me some of their insights on how to play Demoman? :cool:

2. Emily

Emily Guest

The only people I'd take demo tips from would be Skillzish or Savage. Maybe one of these days they'll put up a guide.

3. King

King Guest

Wouldn't you be interested in posting some of your knowledge on this matter too? :mrgreen:

4. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Left Click x 4
    Q
    Left Click x 8
    Right Click
    R
    Q
    R

Repeat.

5. (MP)Ryan

(MP)Ryan New Member

Ah yes, the spammer's guide to be a demoman noob... also known as how to rack up points around the middle point on Warpath with no actual talent whatsoever. :grin:

6. Emily

Emily Guest

Ahhh, the sore-assed response for those who have actually tried using that technique, failed and assume anyone who can is just a "spammer."

Maybe I WILL make a guide, just to spite you fucking whiners.

7. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

I never play demoman, and when I do, I bottle your ass. :lol:

8. Skillzish

Skillzish Guest

Give me a break. :roll:

9. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

I'm still trying to work out Demoman strategy for myself. It seems like half the battle is learning how to use/shoot the grenade launcher and sticky launcher correctly. The best way to learn a few things, in my opinion, is to play Medic and watch what other demos do when you give them an ubercharge.

1v1 can be tricky for a demoman depending on your ammo level. With full ammo and some space to move you should be able to deal with most of the classes, but Scouts in particular will give you the most trouble. A lousy scout can be difficult in the open, and a good scout will probably take you down while you try to predict where he will run. W+M1 pyros are easiest: shoot stickies at your feet as you retreat and detonate as the pyro runs over them.

A lot of playing demo is getting an advantageous position and predicting where players will go. Try setting some stickies just out of sight, harrying the other team with a few pipebombs, then running away past your stickies...*click* Stickies don't have to be just traps though, as you play more you will realize the value of the charged-sticky shot! Once your timing improves you'll be able to hit players on the run from a distance...very satisfying.

Like most classes, offensive demo is a lot easier when you actually have a medic to help you. Ubers are your specialty because of the damage you can deal, especially when clearing out enemy sentry nests. Something I realized just the other day was how good the grenade launcher actually is for taking down sentries - and much quicker than using stickies. You just gotta be sure you hit the sentry dead-on. I'd say to work on your grenade launcher aim first and foremost.

10. Emily

Emily Guest

Please. Next to me, you're like a worm fighting an eagle.

Attached Files:

11. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

I always laugh when I see shit like this. These kinds of statements are made by people who will take an Uber into an enemy-held territory and not be able to kill a fucking thing.

Unless you can take an Uber and use it to kill 6 buildings (including 3 guns), and 9 players in one life, you a talking directly out of your ass. Emily got to enjoy witnessing that accomplishment first hand on one of our many marathon warpath sessions. And this was BEFORE the crit-uber came out.

12. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Cole and Em, chill. I didn't say I ever actually killed you with the bottle. Only that I try. :grin:

13. Ragnarok-RgB

Ragnarok-RgB New Member

Demo is all about predicting where ppl will be and not where they are when it comes to most opponents, unless you get really good or lucky with the pipe bomb, I may not be real good on one on one battles, but sure as hell can take out guns, I find the demo to be most fun to piss engies off, nothing better then taking out full engie nests, most of the time you dont need an uber just well places bombs.

14. ShogunBabalu

ShogunBabalu New Member

its all about traps and angles. and yeah the bottle is great for close quarters

15. M1k3yD

M1k3yD New Member

The thing about demoman is.. A player who isn't very skilled can do well, but when someone knows what they're doing.. the result is just devastating. Some classes aren't easy to just pick up and play, such a soldier. I would know, because when I first decided I wanted to play soldier I was so bad and I couldn't do like anything. I'm still not that great. Demomen, from when I first started playing TF2, I viewed as a class that took a lot of skill and practice to be good at, though I knew nothing about them myself.. and still don't. My demo skill goes no farther than just nubby spam, which is quite obvious when I play demo. You can easily distinguish a skilled demo from a nubby one, even if they're doing about the same kill-wise.

16. King

King Guest

I actually started to like Demo after a match on the second map of Goldrush. My team was doing so bad, we literally got pushed back to the base after 1 minute and a half (ya I actually counted). At that time only 2 people is playing engie (they switched because my extraordinary bitching inspired them to do so) and we only have one sentry up. So after the other guy set up a dispenser on the ladder to the left, I went demo. Of course, when you have that bomb so close to the finish line, you are going to rush it, and they are not doing it the right way. Like Ragnarok said, a few well-placed remote pipe, and no one gets to the bomb. EVER. It felt so satisfying.

17. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

Wait, you're talking about one LIFE right, and not killing 6 buildings (including 3 guns) and 9 players with one UBER? The latter would have to be one tightly packed group of losers I would think! :shock: You just plain shouldn't have enough ammunition to kill 3 guns and that many players during one uber unless they all decided to hunker down by the guns...still, great players manage great things.

I'm still working on my sticky strategy for when I encounter a large group (like when running out of the tunnels in Warpath)...seems like I just knock a lot of players out of the way most times rather than wracking up a good multi-kill.

Don't just play Warpath though; it is a good place to practice being a demo because of the amount of chokepoints, but try other maps as well that aren't as conducive if you want to grow.

18. (MP)Ryan

(MP)Ryan New Member

I think you misread me totally.

There are good Demomen, and there is everyone else who fails at the class. That everyone else includes 90% of the Demos on Warpath - the people who sit and spam the tunnels and do fuck-all else. That is why many people see Warpath as nothing more than a Demoman spam-fest. Sure, I've seen you, Emily, Skillzish, Boo, and Laguna all play demo and witnessed first hand what a coordinated demo uber is capable of... but most Demos on Warpath don't fit that class. Hence why I said: "Ah yes, the spammer's guide to be a demoman noob" Warpath is an extremely forgiving map for Demomen, so even the no-talent halfwits score quite well with minimal effort. I'm a terrible Demo, yet I can easily stay in the top 3 on the team simply by spamming. So bclose's jibe is a legitimate one... but only for particular maps. If a demo tried spamming on something like Half-Acre or Hoodoo they would get their asses handed to them. That's when you can tell who is actually good at the class and capable of maximizing the potential of an uber versus who is used to spamming hallways and getting essentially free points.

19. Hills

Hills Server Admin
    VIP

I started playing TF2 as a pyro and barely ever played another class. One day I was getting pwned by a demo. I started playing demo almost entirely but was totally being a nub. One strategy I used was playing medic and partnering with a demo (try to find someone who's good). Still heal you teammates but keep a close eye on the demo. ber them and see what they do, after doing this for a while you'll learn their patterns and see what works and what doesn't. It would be nice if there was a demo guide but rather than wait, start helping yourself. Remember every class has strengths and weaknesses, don't think a demo is the best class (IMO there is no best class). You'll be as good as how much time you put into mastering each class, don't expect to use the combo's that bclose suggested if you plan to be successful.

20. ShadeSWG

ShadeSWG Well-Known Member

I can give out a bit of advice, if anyone would listen to me hehe.

My biggest tip is to know when to use what weapon. If you're shooting into an enclosed space (like the tunnel between points 3 and 2 on Warpath), your best bet is your pipe launcher, as there's really no where to run but back. In this instance, your suppression fire may only stop the enemy for a few seconds (if they run back in the first place), but continuous spam can get quite annoying. Most of the time however, you should be using your sticky launcher (In my opinion). The best ways (again IMO) to utilize it is to A: time it as an airburst round, B: Drop it on an opponents face/feet or C: put it where you think someone is going to be in the next few seconds. I usually go for options A and B, because I don't have too much success with C. Granted this is me playing OFFENSIVE demo.

As a purely defensive demo, (which I play very seldom) basically involves laying a sticky carpet in a highly trafficked (No misspelling) area then detonating when someone comes by. While your stickies are down you have to make do with spamming your pipes. Like I said, not the way I like to operate.

Hope this helped a bit!