1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compiling Stuff

Discussion in 'TF2 Mapping' started by Knilly, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Knilly

Knilly New Member

Alrightie, I've just recently delved into the mapping scene, and I'm right now taking on a rather big project for a newb of mapping (making my college campus, 'cause it'd be a really great Atk/Def CP map). I have some other smaller projects on the side, but that's not the point at hand.

I'm making the buildings of my campus separate from each other first, then putting them together after making the basic landscape. Slightly unrelated, but is this a good idea or would it be better to put them all in one file (mind you the first is more practical and organized, but - hey - I dunno).

Now, finally, getting back onto the matter at hand: Hammer crashes/freezes in the middle of compiling. I looked up what some reasons could be, and - as per the Valve Wiki article - I went over my work, and found some misplaced, overlapping brushes and such, so I got rid of them and fixed some other design flaws.

However, it's still not compiling before it freezes. I'd be happy to get more specific, but if there's some general things I should double check, please lemme know. Thankies. :D

2. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

Okay, good job on starting the most tedious project ever!

I keep everything for one map in one file but you can do whatever you want because Hammer will copy+paste anything you want from one file to another.

If it's failing the compile press Alt+P to use the Hammer problem checker and it'll tell you if you have any errors. (This little thingy doesn't check everything, but it's an easy start.)

If you get an error, put it in google for a fix. When your map does compile; run the compile log through this error checker: http://www.interlopers.net/errors/errors.php and it'll show you what's wrong.

3. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

The best resource I've found for TF2 mappers is www.tf2maps.net (lots of people there willing to answer questions).

I'm glad so many of you guys are dipping your toes into the mapping scene...since we're going to hold a TF2 mapping contest in July (with a really tasty prize for the winner :wink: )

4. Knilly

Knilly New Member

@bclose: Huh, I'll have to check out those features in Hammer... Thanks for that.
    @Savage: Awesome site; I'll have to roam the tutorial forums for a while. :eek:

And a tasty prize sounds delicious like ice cream in July. :eek:

5. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

[strike]Hopefully this will not coincide with FPSB's contests, hard to make two things at once.[/strike]

Nevermind, NH is better.

6. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

By far. The first comment I got on FPSB was "I think we already have enough Orange edits. Please make something original."
    WTF Asshole?
    No Heroes- fist couple comments were along the lines of"looks great, a lot better than orange" or "looks good. When will we be able to play on this?" Which community would you rather be in?

7. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

I mean, as a standing mapper on FPSB, it's not too bad. Some people are just asshats and need to be ignored. It's easier to submit maps and things to FPSB and they host it for you and everything. Also the rating system is good.

But No Heroes is the best a non-mapping-dedicated community can be!