1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backpack item deletion

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Skillzish, May 29, 2009.

1. Skillzish

Skillzish Guest

So I read a thread somewhere that stated a player with less items in their backpack had a better chance of "finding" items. I had many duplicates so I figured I'd try it out. I already had the Axtinguisher and the Flare Gun since the Pyro update, so I deleted them, the ones that I "found" since the update. Turns out, if you delete a "found" item from your backpack, it deletes it permanently from load out, that includes the ancient ones that you may have had since Medic/Pyro updates. I thought I was deleting my "found" duplicate, but apparently it also deleted two of my Pyro items. Just a heads up.

2. NightLaments

NightLaments New Member

Holy fuck is that bad news bears.

So, to double check that I got this right, if we delete duplicate items from our backpacks, even though it's a duplicate, the item is permanently deleted from our loadouts?

Damn, double damn, and triple damn, that's a huge bug.

3. Skillzish

Skillzish Guest

Right. I deleted the ONLY flare gun I had in my backpack because I assumed that I would keep the flare gun I had in load out since I got it before the dawn of time. So, after I learned that I was sure to keep a single ubersaw/kritz/other shit in there until they fix it.

4. NightLaments

NightLaments New Member

Ah, I thought you kept your original flare gun, and deleted the duplicates, while losing the loadout. Alright, that's slightly different; I could very easily be wrong here, but I believe that what happened to you isn't a bug, but a feature. I think that they were thinking that you could delete the stuff for classes you don't use so that you can horde cool hats/etc for the classes you do, but I'm not positive.

Thanks for the clarification.

5. Skillzish

Skillzish Guest

Well I could see it being a feature, although I could only delete the duplicated items that I had found. I figured that since the backpack inventory seemed so small, it would store the newly acquired items/hats from this point forward, and whatever we had before the update we would keep in the separate load out screens. Why the hell would anyone want to delete load-out items anyways? Ugh. All I know is that I need a Fro in a hell of a hurry.

Edit: On another note, I read that Valve wants to eventually have "found" items with stats differing from those already in play.

I guess I need to up my Magic Find

6. D15C0

D15C0 New Member

I think the bug only effects duplicates of items you actually have equipped. Because I had 2 Sandviches in my backpack, and I did just delete one, and still have the other.

7. Skillzish

Skillzish Guest

I think my wording was a bit shotty. I previously had gotten the flare gun/axtinguisher during the week of the Pyro update and never equiped them because 1. I never play Pyro 2. The standard shotgun/axe are better. So they sat in my load out inventory for the longest of time never seeing usage. This update comes along and shovels the same Pyro shit my way, more of which I don't want/need so in effort to clear up some room and maybe have a better chance at finding new items. I delete the newly found Pyro items which also removed them from my character load out.

Basically, I have had the Ubersaw ever since the Medic update, if I found another Ubersaw and wanted to delete that out of my backpack because I presumably already "had it" in my load out, it would delete both the item from my backpack and the remove the acknowledgment that I ever received the Ubersaw during the Medic update.

Luckily I tried it out with the Pyro items instead of "extra" Medic weapons I had.

8. D15C0

D15C0 New Member

Here's what I'm saying: If you had an Ubersaw in the load out, and 1 in your backpack that you wanted to delete, simply equip your old normal Bonesaw so that you have two Ubersaws in your backpack and delete one. You would then simply re-equip your remaining Ubersaw.

I'm not saying that its not a bug, I'm just saying you can avoid it.

9. Krimp

Krimp VIP Supporter
    VIP

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is intentional. Good to know just in case though.

10. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks for the heads-up Skillzish. Love the new Avatar by the way. :cool:

11. Larfleeze

Larfleeze New Member

For those confused by this, you need to keep at least 1 of every item in your backpack if you plan to use them. They don't disappear when you equip them, so if you delete your one version of KBG you'll lose it from your loadout.

However, having any more than 1 is pointless at this time as there is no trading yet, and according to the code in the latest patch those with a smaller number of overall inventory items (doesn't matter if they're dupes or not) has a slightly increased chance of finding a new items than those with 40/50 backpacks.

12. King

King Guest

Thanks for the notice Skillz. :grin:

13. Yellowcake

Yellowcake Server Admin

Yes the backpack doesn't act like the typical WoW/Diablo inventory system (probably the source of confusion). If if did, people would have the opportunity to delete the basic weapons every class starts with. Just imagine if the standard weapons were included in the mix of possible items you can randomly unlock. I'm angry enough when receive a duplicate item; If I "found" a second Pyro shotgun I might start throwing things around my rec room.

14. M1k3yD

M1k3yD New Member

I am so confused. D:

15. sighmon

sighmon Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

wow. i didnt think valve could fark up this new item acquition system anymore if it tried.

16. Amakiir

Amakiir New Member

Wouldn't it be cool if valve suddenly made it impossible to find items in the "wild" and you could only trade items with other people to get what you want? So youd have trades like "i'll trade you 3 kgbs and a huntsmen for your cloak and dagger" Then, like, have to design the type of medic you want to play. Is it worth keeping your uber saw, or will you trade it so you may have both the medigun and the kritz et cetera.

Man, I'd find that hilarious. Especially with people who deleted their bags.

17. Capella

Capella New Member

Yeah, then players would have a good reason to be on a game server and not actually play the game, just trade items. How wonderful.

18. monkeytime

monkeytime New Member

I think some people are confused here. The way the backpack works is that every non-basic item you have will be in it at all times. So no matter what you have equiped, everything that isn't a basic item will be displayed. If you got the Backburner from the pyro achievements, you will see at least one backburner in your backpack at all times. This is the backburner you got from achievements, not an extra you found. If you equip an item in load-out, it doesn't disappear from your backpack. So, if you see more than one of an item, it means you have multiple of that item, and can delete copies until you have one left without affecting your ability to use the item. If you delete the only copy of an item in your backpack, then it is gone and you will have to find it again before you can equip it.