1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Nine Inch Nails fans around?

Discussion in 'General BS No One Cares About But You' started by digitaldemon, May 8, 2009.

1. digitaldemon

digitaldemon Well-Known Member

The kind folks that are making the This One Is On Us DVD have released the audio for it. I'm listening to it now and it sounds absolutely amazing.

Also one of the guys made a DVD out of the videos from Sydney they posted on the website. The power went out and it was all caught on film from behind the scenes. Really cool and reinforces why I am such a huge fan of Trent.

http://thisoneisonus.org/releases

2. the_mad_magyar

the_mad_magyar New Member

The Downward Spiral was the last NIN i could really get into. After that the whining got to be just a little too much and frankly the quality of his work has also gone down imho. There's a new song here and there that I don't mind though.

I strongly recommend however you check out Skinny Puppy if you don't know of them already. If you are as into NIN as I think you are you should probably start out with the albums Too Dark Park and The Process, then mess around with the rest of their backcatalogue. Their sound changed alot over the years.

3. m0nk3y420

m0nk3y420 New Member

same here , reznor's ego started inflating too fast for his music to keep up.

4. Shadowstorm

Shadowstorm New Member

I am a huge NIN fan.

The only album from NIN that can be called less than half decent is With Teeth. Every album aside from that has been amazing. The Fragile being my favorite out of the lot.

Also, I think it is laughable that you would say that the quality of NIN's music has gone down when you later speak about a band whose quality really has gone down. Early Skinny Puppy is damn good; latest releases, not so much.

5. digitaldemon

I like With Teeth and I think The Slip is their best album since The Fragile. The only NIN album I really don't like is Year Zero..it's just too hit or miss.

A bunch of my friends used to be really into Skinny Puppy. I've heard a few songs from them that I like, but they are little too industrial for my taste.

6. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

To me, the only thing that has qualified as "good NIN" since The Fragile was the fantastic And All That Could Have Been live album and DVD. It became a ritual for my friends and me to watch that DVD pretty much every Friday/Saturday night before heading out to the bars - many a beer was pounded! :twisted:

First two CDs I ever bought: NIN The Downward Spiral and Soundgarden Superunknown (Boxing Day 1994 :grin: )

But after worshiping that live DVD for so long I FINALLY got to see them live on the With Teeth tour - saw them once in Toronto and once in London. In Toronto they surprised me by playing songs like Something I Can Never Have, Burn, and even Dead Souls from The Crow Soundtrack! In London (Ontario), on the second round of the With Teeth tour, they played one of my favourites - Reptile - and I was blown away! So between the two shows I heard basically all the songs I wanted to hear.

After all that, though, I think Trent's lost his edge and I just don't care for much of his newer stuff.

7. digitaldemon

I saw them last October and in 2005. Both are the best concerts I have ever been to. The things they did with the stage and the presentation are literally indescribably...you had to have been there to understand. I'm sure you can relate. :wink:

I really like The Slip. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should...it's free. :smile:

8. the_mad_magyar

the_mad_magyar New Member

I will be the first to agree with you shadow about the last couple albums; I really couldnt get into the latest one at all. The previous album had its moments but it doesn't sound like Skinny Puppy anymore. Still better than 95% of industrial music past and present but not up to the influential caliber that they once were.

That being said they been around for 25 years and their live shows are still amazing. I've seen them on their last 2 tours, once in Toronto and once in Manhattan and they do not disappoint.

I've found that I'm really a cEvin Key fan more than anything as he really is the reason behind all the good stuff they put out. Well, him and Dwayne but... :sad:

Sorry, back to NIN. I saw him once live on The Downward Spiral tour with The Jim Rose Circus Sideshow and Manson opening up for them and that show truly was amazing. The video work alone was worth the price of admission.

9. digitaldemon

That tour came here, but I didn't go. I went through an anti-NIN period right after The Downward Spiral came out. My elitism kicked in and I was pissed that every little trendy chick was walking around with a Broken shirt on. Lame, I know...I was 18. :grin:

I know exactly what you mean about the video work. The show they put on here last October was nothing short of a multimedia event. I try to explain to my friends that weren't there what it was like and always end saying "You just had to be there".

10. GlaDOS V1.09

GlaDOS V1.09 New Member

Trent Reznor has always been a whiny little bitch. Hell he's from where I live and no one I know has anything to good to say about him, not even the people that went to school with him.

Heres a nice quote, from when my friend Brooks went to his grams house to say "Hi"

"My fans can suck my dick" -Trent Reznor.

11. digitaldemon

Well, he must have had a change of heart somewhere along the line because their last album was released for free as a special thank you to his fans.

Not to mention he released 400GB of HD video that is now being made into a DVD and Blu-ray by a group of fans that will also be released for free. Not exactly "suck my dick" type behavior.

12. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

I find that the more I know about a band/artist outside of their music the more likely it is that I'll start to dislike their music. I guess it ruins the mystique of the band when they stop being a name/act and become a bunch of other things that you come to associate with them. Kind of like how I can't hear any U2 song these days without thinking of iPods or Bono's political struggles.

Don't get me wrong, the stories and tales of "being a rockstar" that you find in Behind the Music-type stuff are awesome and totally interesting, but I don't want to hear all the tabloid garbage every single time a band member does something or dates someone new. :roll:

13. SGT.HOUNT

SGT.HOUNT Server Admin
    Server Admin

NIN and Jane's Addiction are touring right now (the NINJA tour.) I dropped the ball and missed getting tickets for the Tampa show and Atlanta is too far away. Trent said he was taking a break for a while after this tour. I'm a much bigger Jane's fan than NIN. Dave Navarro and Perry just rip it up live.

Link for the tour: http://www.ninja2009.com/

[​IMG]

14. digitaldemon

That graph is hilarious! :lol:

15. GlaDOS V1.09

GlaDOS V1.09 New Member

In the case of NIN, kind of hard not to around here considering he graduated from Mercer High School. Maybe he realized alienating his hometown was a bad idea...