1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An idea, what do you think?

Discussion in 'TF2 Mapping' started by Rogue, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Rogue

Rogue Guest

So, I've been thinking about an idea, ever since the discussion about the balloon race map. I read that thread and the issues with the map being so large and open and so on. So, I started thinking about what could be done to make that better, but actually ended up coming up with a completely new idea for a map. So, my thoughts were that I would post it here, and if it had enough interest from our community mappers, then maybe we could make it a unique map to no-heroes.

I was thinking that a good way to eliminate the open areas, was to make a map that was pretty closed, which led me to think about mines. A map that could work as a payload/balloon race/whatever, where you would ride mining carts to capture points. Sort of like the scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Each point would be a route through a mountain, and would have either points being underground mining stations or outside on the mountain side as old fashioned western saloons or small towns. I also thought for the carts, that instead of just standing like you do on the boat on balloon race, you'd have to work for it. So, I was thinking about the old fashioned mining carts or train carts, that require at least 2 people to move that center piece up and down to make it move, like in the silent movies. That could be the lead train piece, and several other carts could then be attached to pull the team. It would kind of push team work as people would have to sacrifice themselves to stand on the front cart to make it move.

Also, since it would be indoors, the tracks could be used to run as well, so it could still work as a payload map. And, with each captured point, the spawn point would be moved up for that team, so they could potentially just use the tracks as well, although the carts would be faster. It would make for some interesting game play as the carts twist through the mines and mountains and the capture points could be really interestingly made.

Also, it would be interesting if people could shoot certain train track points so they could switch tracks and take alternate routes and so on. So, what do you guys think?

2. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

Definitely has a lot of great ideas in there. I don't see any problems getting them to work, mainly just the effort it would take to do all of this.

3. Proven

Proven Community Veteran

Rogue, I think the terms "Great minds think alike" works here. Savage wrote this in the Balloon race thread and I love it. I wish I were a mapper!

4. bclose

bclose Senior Admins
    Senior Admin

No, you really don't. Hammer is a pain in the ass sometimes.

@Rouge and Darth:
    It is all completely workable, but the amount of displacement work and entity clipping and vis-leafs you'd be dealing with there (not to mention making it playable, detailed, and awesome) might be overwhelming. I am deathly horrified by displacements because of the clipping and leaking problems associated with them.

5. [X6] Herbius

[X6] Herbius Dumb Animal
    VIP

Too right.

This does look like a cool idea for a map but, as I have learned from experience :wink:, would take one hell of a lot of work. Nevertheless, I reckon it could be done and would be awesome if it were.

6. maniteesquad

maniteesquad New Member

Maybe, but using the Unreal 3 editor is the closest I have come to suicide. It is the most unstable thing I have ever seen. Totally love the map idea btw.

7. KidDeath

KidDeath New Member

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.. Radiant is an awful editor. :(