1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Beginner's Guide to the Demoman Revised: 7/18/10

Discussion in 'Strategy Guides' started by ShadeSWG, May 29, 2009.

1. ShadeSWG

ShadeSWG Well-Known Member

Demoman Guide

I'm not sure whether I should post this in the strategy guide forum just yet, if necessary admins feel free to move this over, but I'd like some feedback on this, I threw it together in about 2 hours so enjoy and remember to post some feedback as I'd like this to be a dynamic, changing guide! Also please remember this is guide for beginners, and that I'll throw together a pro-tips post when I get a chance.

Beginner's Guide to Demoman

Demoman is the only class in this game that can indirectly turn you into gibliets. This guide is to teach you the foundations of this art. I personally have over 200 675 750 hours on demoman, and this guide will be based on my opinions about how demoman is most effective. So, now that I've gotten the formalities out of the way, let's begin.

Weapons: This is just an overview of the weapons, I'll go into strategies in using them later.

Primary- Your primary weapon is your Pipe launcher. It has a capacity of 4 rounds with 16 in reserve. They reload one at a time, so it's best to keep it as close to full at all times. Each round fires a grenade in an arc that will randomly bounce until it's timer is up and detonates, or directly hits an enemy player (which also detonates it). I find it best to use in confined spaces, unless you are very good at predicting the movements of your opponent, and you can plant the pipe right in their face. It takes two pipes to kill an un-medigun buffed player, except for the heavy, in which it takes 4. It takes 2-3 pipes (depending on your aim) to drop a level 1-2 building, 3-4 (again depending on your aim) to drop a level 3. The damage you do with these pipes nearly doubles (I may be wrong on this, but I do notice the difference) if the pipe actually hits something (player or building) before hitting the ground and rolling.

Secondary- Your secondary weapon is a sticky bomb launcher. It has a capacity of 8 rounds with 24 in reserve. They, like the pipe launcher, reload one at a time, so again keep yourself loaded as close to full as you can at all times. The stickies you shoot can stick to almost any surface, but will NOT stick to players or buildings. They will simply bounce off those surfaces. The ways you can use the sticky launcher are almost limitless, so I find myself using my sticky launcher 66% of the time. I will go into how to use it effectively later. It takes 2 stickies to kill an unbuffed player, 4 for a heavy. It takes 2 stickies to take down a Level 1-2 building, 3 for a Level 3. The damage your stickies deal is affected by how far your enemy is from said stickies. You can only have 8 stickies down at a time, and when you send the detonate command, any stickies you have down will explode.

Melee- Your melee weapon is your bottle o' booze. Not much to say here. It's a bottle that will break on a crit. Not sure if it affects damage or not.

Unlocks

The Charge n' Targe: Probably the most obnoxious unlock produced by valve to date. When wearing the Targe, you give up your sticky launcher, but gain 50% resistance to fire damage and 40% resistance to explosive damage. You also gain the ability to charge- you move faster and you have the opportunity to crit or mini crit with a melee weapon depending on how long you've been charging. This unlock makes you a non-team player. Plain and simple. You can no longer fulfill the demoman's primary role of destroying buildings. While yes, you do have pipes, you no longer have stickies. Stickies are integral to dealing with buildings. When using the Targe, you simply are worried about your own ass.

The Eyelander: This unlock is a massive sword that replaces the bottle. You lose 25 health and cannot crit as a result of equipping it. The upside however, is a massive melee range, and extra health and speed whenever you get a kill with it. It is most useful when coupled with the Targe, but some Demos prefer to use it with their pipes and stickies. I do not, as I feel the extra health is more valuable in more situations.

The Scotsman Skullcutter: This massive axe gives you 20% extra melee damage, but you move about the speed as a heavy. Again, I prefer the stock bottle for this one, as I'll take that extra mobility over 20% melee damage any day.

The Scottish Resistance: This alternate sticky launcher gives you 12 more reserve stickies, the ability to have 6 more stickies placed at once and the ability to destroy enemy stickies. The down side is that you must be looking at the individual sticky groups to detonate them and you have to wait .6 seconds longer to detonate them. This unlock is excellent in a defensive scenario. You can sticky multiple areas and detonate only certain traps, and on offense, you can easily clear sticky traps for your team. However, you aren't really an "Offensive" Demo with these, due to the time and sight limitations.

The Pain Train: You take 10% more bullet damage, but cap twice as fast. I'm a bit leery of using this one, as this means heavies are going to hit you harder and snipers headshot you for 165 instead of 150. Also, against any shotguns or pistols, you're in a bit of trouble. Sentries will put a further hurt on you. If you need to fast cap something (i.e. Last point of Warpath) then go for it, but I personally will stick with the bottle)

In short, stock demo will keep you the most versatile and effective.

How to use your weapons effectively.

Both of your weapons are best at mid-range to long-range (if you're accurate). However you are extremely vulnerable at close range, as niether of your main weapons are suited to close range combat. Do your best to stay at range, and never be afraid to give ground.

Pipe Launcher- Your pipe bombs, like I said, are best for enclosed spaces, where there's no where to run from them. So like I said, unless you are very good at aiming these grenades, they're going to basically be used as your primary spam weapon. Once you get good at aiming stickies, the damage you do with them will vastly increase.

Sticky Launcher- As I stated before, the things you can do with stickies are nearly limitless. I've broken this part down into a few sections to make this easy to read.

1. Sticky Carpet- This is one of the most common uses of stickies. You shoot (usually) all 8 stickies onto a surface, fairly close together and wait for an enemy to come by, and detonate them. But be warned, while your stickies are down, you're forced to use your Pipe Launcher, which requires more skill to do damage with. This is suited to playing on the defensive side of things. You can really pin down an enemy force if you lay down said carpet at a highly trafficked chokepoint. I do NOT use this strategy much myself, the only use I seem to have for it is stickying up our final control point on a Control Point map, but only if I can't sucker some other demo into doing it for me! The Scottish Resistance is excellent at laying multiple traps and keeping an enemy team pinned down.

2. Sticky Throwing- As the name might suggest, this technique involves shooting a sticky at an enemy and detonating it. This method requires you to be fairly decent at predicting enemy movements and putting the sticky right in their path. You have to be thinking a few seconds in the future for this method to work. If you play in the present, you're going to die a lot from a simple charging pyro. There are two ways to use this method effectively. I find myself alternating between styles on the fly as a situation evolves. (YES! Another breakdown) The Scottish Resistance is less than ideal for this method.

Method A- You wait for said sticky to hit the ground and detonate it when said enemy to run over/near it. Even using this method, you don't have a sticky sitting there for more than a second or two. If your enemies are moving very predictably this method will be extremely effective against them.

Method B- This one is a bit trickier. This method turns your sticky into an airburst round. You have to judge the distance between your sticky and the guy you're shooting at, and detonate it when you judge the enemy is in range of your sticky. This one takes awhile to learn, but using it, I'm able to put a sticky right in someone's face as they're moving sideways on a ledge above me.

This may sound extremely hard but once you have some hours as a demo under your belt, you'll find yourself doing this reflexively without conscious thought.

3. Sticky Flying- WHAT? STICKY FLYING?!?! Yes. You can use your stickies to send yourself or an enemy flying through the air. (When used on yourself this is commonly referred to as sticky jumping). Basically you put a sticky right at your feet or your opponents feet, detonate it, and see them/you explode into the air, usually hitting the top of the map and inflicting some decent falling damage as well. When using this on yourself however, you must make some adjustments. You must be slightly in front of the sticky to go flying forward first. Then right before you detonate the sticky you must jump and crouch in the same instant to get maximum distance. Again, this sounds hard but get some practice in and this will become reflexive.

Playing Styles

Style 1- Spam Style. This style is commonly the style everyone uses when first starting demoman. It (usually) involves laying down a carpet of stickies, and waiting for someone to wander into your stickies, all the while spamming your pipes. This turns demoman into a glorified sentry in my opinion, and far less accurate. You're chained to a dispenser basically, and you probably won't get too many kills out of this style unless you're playing a very bad team, or your team is getting pushed back.

Style 2- Defensive Style. This is similar to spam style, except for the fact you're using your head on this one. You're putting your stickies over a vital area (Such as a high trafficked choke point or final capture point) and knowing when and where to shoot your pipes. You can stay mobile with this style, and you really aren't chained to a dispenser unless you're spamming.

Style 3- Offensive Style. This is my preferred style of play, as you take an active role in the battle. This style really relies on Sticky Throwing and well placed pipes to get your kills. This style can be extremely devastating if your enemies are just charging at you, as it's very easy to choose where to put your stickies and to put pipes right in the face of an enemy. This style can also be used effectively if your team is being pushed back. You shoot a few stickies onto a surface that's going to have enemies charging through in a few seconds and blow them up, giving your team precious seconds to retreat. This style is also very good in payload maps around the cart. Even when using the offensive style, don't be afraid to give ground, whether it be to give yourself more time to kill an enemy or to reload. The key here is to deal damage and keep yourself on the battlefield.

Now that we've covered the basics, let's see what you're going to be up against.

The Scout- This guy may look like a pushover at first, but he's actually one of your most dangerous opponents. At long to mid-range you easily have the upper hand. You'll either need some decent sticky throwing or well placed pipes to the face to get him. Chances are he's going to be running at you, so whatever you do, KEEP BACKPEDALING. You need to give yourself the biggest window of opportunity you can to take him down, because as I mentioned before, you are not suited to close range combat. If the scout gets in close with you, you're not favored to win this fight. His scattergun can be lethal, and you aren't likely to land a melee hit on him unless you're very good with melee as well. The best thing to do is if it's one on one, get him up in your face, put a sticky at your feet, and run PAST him the way he came, he's going to have to change direction to get back in range, and this is usually going to be a solid hit on most scouts who charge blindly at you. If he doesn't die/run off, you can usually repeat this technique again. This is actually a very very difficult technique, as a few well placed scattergun shots/crits will mess you up very quickly. Your best bet is to keep him at mid-range and blow him up any way you can. The same tactics apply even if he's using the Force of Nature or the Sandman. Do your best to dodge him and put him down. If he pops Bonk, you can try to juggle him if you wish, but your best bet is to wait for it to run out and keep trying. If he pops Crit a Cola, a single solid hit will kill him, but he can kill you faster. Good luck on that one. I will stress again, he's is your biggest enemy. Don't take him on 1 on1 or even with a medic unless you have backup OR you are confident in your abilities.

The Soldier- This guy can prove to be a tough fight if he's equal to your skill level or better than you. It all depends on the terrain. He moves slow, which gives you a wide open window of opportunity to use sticky throwing or pipes to take him down. Keep moving, keep strafing and keep sticky throwing, even while he fires rockets at you. If you're still alive when he runs out of rocket ammo and switches to his shotgun, get back to mid-range and sticky/pipe him down. Don't underestimate the shotgun and charge right in. The shotgun is extremely deadly. If he's using the direct hit, do your best to keep dodging and don't get juggled. Two solid hits will kill you in this scenario. If he's using the Buff Banner, I'd advise running, as his team is probably right behind him. If he runs at you with an Equalizer...well...you can bottle fight him if you wish and hope to get lucky, or you can just pipe/sticky him to death. Don't mess with that overpowered POS, as more often than not, it's gonna rock you. If you keep moving and use your weapons/terrain effectively, you can usually either drop the soldier or retreat if need be.

The Pyro- This guy (Girl perhaps?) is your second most dangerous foe. He/She can really mess up your day if they get in close range. You can either pull out your bottle o' booze, circle strafe and hope for a lucky crit (I'm not so good at this), put a sticky at your feet and backpedal or land a few pipes in the pyros face. If the W+M1 right at you, pipes are usually more effective. If you're lucky you'll hit him/her and they'll get knocked into the air, hopefully buying you precious seconds to escape. BE CAREFUL WITH STICKIES THOUGH. If you plant the sticky BEHIND them and detonate it, you can actually bring the pyro closer to you and your team. Be EXTREMELY cautious of airblasts. If the pyro reflects one of your pipes, it will mini-crit, even rolling. Worse, it can directly impact into your face, or someone behind you. When using stickies against the pyro, be careful when detonating them, as you can kill yourself on a reflected sticky...leaving you feeling like a moron. At mid to long range, they can't do much to you. Their flare gun can be fairly pesky, just do your best to stay out of it's way. Just remember to keep out of flamethrower range and you should be alright. Sticky throw/Pipe to the face to get them.

The Demoman- Your doppelganger. You are equally matched in terms of equipment and viability. This fight comes down to who is luckier or has more skills.Use whatever weapon you're better with, and swap to your other when you run out of ammo, don't stop to reload until you need to...or just pull out your bottle and try and tempt him into a drunkard fight. This fight is going to come down to who lands the blows quicker or who crits first. However, if your doppelganger is fielding the Charge n' Targe, this fight changes. You have to nail him with twice the amount of projectiles you would normally to kill him, but he must nail you with only pipes, or his melee weapon. Most Charge n' Targes will opt to fire a few pipes at you, find out that they can't aim and immediately pull out their swords and charge at you. Calmly sidestep him and continue to lay into him with ranged weapons. Don't be afraid to retreat against these little irritants, as they have an advantage on you. If you encounter a Scottish Resistance Demo, START LOOKING FOR STICKY TRAPS. More often then not, someone consistently using the Scottish Resistance is going to be wily enough to hide sticky traps in corners, on ceilings an so forth. Or they could just be stupid. In a straight up fight you have the advantage, as you can dodge his stickies with relative easy. Just be sure not to strafe into a sticky trap.

The Heavy- The heavy is surprisingly easy to kill without a medic. Keep throwing stickies/launching pipes and ducking behind walls and you'll get him down in no time. WITH a medic on him however, you have to get him into a carpet of SIX stickies to kill him without his medic healing him back up. Either way, this fight comes down to YOUR skill, not his. Pipes directly to the face work very well in this situation, and he's the biggest target out there. If he's fielding Natascha, find a wall to duck behind. Natascha can slow you down enough for his team to get some easy potshots on you, if he doesn't kill you himself. If you get him alone however, you technically have 25% longer to kill him because of Natascha's damage reduction.

The Engineer- On his own, he's not too dangerous, stay at mid range and kill him with your preference of stickies or pipes. His sentry will mess you up, but killing it isn't too hard either. I'll cover buildings in a separate section. Watch out for his Frontier Justice, as if it has crits, it can drop you very quickly. His Southern Hospitality will cause you to start bleeding out as well, so try and stay out of melee range of that thing.

The Medic- The medic can pose a threat at mid range with his needle gun. A solid stream of needles and deplete your health very quickly. Your best bet is to keep knocking him around with stickies/pipes until he dies. If he's healing someone, he's much easier to kill, as he's relying on someone else to kill people around him. Sometimes you can shoot over the guy he's healing to kill him, but if you get behind them, just kill him with your method of choice.

The Sniper- At long range obviously-he wins. At sticky range however, you force him into his SMG or Kukri or risk getting turn into giblets without putting a scratch on you. His Tribalman's Shiv will cause you to bleed, so stay clear of that as well. Not much to say here, you don't deal with him too much.

The Spy- Not much to say here either, if he doesn't get the backstab on you, use your method of choice to drop him. Some spies will try to fight you with their Ambassador. If they can't aim however, you can drop them without much of a problem.

Buildings- You are a demoman, your PRIMARY job is to take out buildings, not people. As I stated before, my method of choice for dropping buildings is, again, stickies; 2 for a level 1-2 building, 3 for a level 3. Since you are the only class that deals indirect damage, you can easily get a sentry without exposing yourself. ipes are very similar to stickies when it comes to buildings, but sometimes you can get level three buildings with two pipes, depending on the damage roll.

Wrangled Sentries: These are a bane to Demoman, as it requires so many more projectiles to take one down. Your best bet is either to overwhelm the gun with your team, or try and kill the engy. Most engies won't move all that much while wrangling their gun. If you do manage to get the engy, put three stickies on the gun as usual, and wait for the shield to wear off.

In either case, sometimes an ubercharge is required.

What to do with ubercharges/krtizkriegs

Ubercharges- If you are given an ubercharge as a demoman your first priority are any and all sentries that have been built. Fully loaded and assuming all of your stickies/pipes are perfectly placed, you can theoretically get 4, fully built level 3 guns with a single uber. (It doesn't usually work like that, so don't expect that) Usually, I can get 2-3 guns with a single uber. I make sure to count to myself how many stickies I've used on a single gun and detonate when I hit three. If you think one sticky might be too far off, throw another one or two. If there's only two stickies in range, the engineer can easily repair the damage. Three stickies will blow up the gun without giving him the chance. If there are no buildings up when you take an uber, you may then proceed to blow up any and all people in the area. Non-wrangled sentries take priority, as they're going to be an easier kill, and they open up some breathing room for your team to help you overwhelm the wrangled gun with firepower.

Kritzkriegs- Since you do splash damage as a demoman, you're a prime target for krtizkriegs. If you're going into a confined space, start shooting PIPES as soon as the kritz starts ticking unless you're confident in your skill in aiming them. If you can get them to detonate on someone's face the splash damage is devastating. After you're out of pipes, switch to your sticky launcher and go to town. You can try for groups of people if you wish. I usually use the airburst technique, as it seems to be extremely effective with a kritz.

And with that, I come to the conclusion of this guide. I will be adding information to this guide as I receive feedback, so feel free to drop me a PM or an e-mail at ssshadeslayer@gmail.com if you wish to make a comment or send me feedback.

Slightly revised: 4/3/10 I can't believe this was still floating around!
    Revised Again: 7/18/10 With class unlocks.

2. Emily

Emily Guest

Re: Demoman Guide

I think the biggest objection our hardcore demos will have with this is the assertion that the pipes are your primary weapon. While I am far better with the pipes than the stickies, the best demos I have ever seen are masters of the stickies as their primary weapon charging in dropping one sticky at a time as you back-peddle in vain.

I think you also grossly underestimate the bottle as a very powerful tool at close range. Occasionally, you might find yourself just swinging and missing, but charging a pyro in the tunnel of warpath and giving him a few whacks with your bottle has been a technique I have seen prove VERY effective (Skillzish). He's actually managed to train pyros to back off if they see him charging them with his bottle of scrumpy. Just ask Joanna... :lol:

Overall, I would stress the demo as the most formidable class for offense even though he was clearly intended as a defensive class. And frankly, in one life, the demoman can be both Stickying up the last point while charging in with his pipe bombs.

Then again, what do I know? I only have 355 hours as demo. Perhaps Erik with his 800 hours can come in and enlighten us. :grin:

3. motherboy xxx

motherboy xxx Head Admin
    Head Admin

I will shamefully confirm this. :(

4. ShadeSWG

Well, I really meant this to be textbook-beginners guide. i.e. Pipes are on 1, therefore primary. Throughout the guide I made it known that I prefer stickies and that I use them the most. I didn't mean to say the pipes are everyone's primary choice, my primary choice is stickies, just check the sticky kill page :grin:

As for the bottle at close range, I'm not denying that it's powerful, the message I'm trying to get across is your job isn't to swing a booze bottle, and it isn't gonna work like people who are excellent at melee. Like I said, the purpose of this guide is to teach how to play the main aspects of demoman well, and it's usually best to stay out of situations where you'd need the bottle, in my experience at least as I'm not all that good with melee

5. Muscles O Draves

Muscles O Draves Active Member

Fantastic basics guide! Really well done I think.

Thanks for the contribution; it's very appreciated. :grin:

6. (MP)Ryan

(MP)Ryan New Member

Shame on you. That's what airblast and the axetinguisher are for. Get rid of that silly Backburner and Fire Axe you carry around :p

Seriously, any demo that even approaches a pyro should be lit on fire and axetinguished. It takes less than a second to execute with practice and can be done become they get in even a single bottle strike (one poof plus one axetinguisher strike = dead everything but heavy). And if all else fails and you aren't comfortable with axetinguisher tactics, light them on fire and use the airblast to send them out of bottle range.

Pyros should never be actually running from a demo unless they're flinging pipes and stickies at you in an enclosed space. Breaking off pursuit is advised when they're at mid-range and laying down stickies as they run from you, but that isn't a retreat so much as good tactical thinking. :cool:

While the bottle is a very powerful tool in the hands of a talented demo (like Skillzish), it can be a liability against classes that are suited to countering it. I've only played against Skillzish a handful of times, but I know I've never been bottled to death as a Pyro by anyone outside of sudden death melee.

7. typeOf(Sarah)

typeOf(Sarah) New Member

Very nice guide!

8. trooper1276

trooper1276 New Member

Great guide on (for me at least) one of the more difficult classes to master. I'll have to try and remember some of that stuff next time I play demo. Aiming and shooting someone in the head comes easy to me, but mastering the tactics needed to be a good demo just never seemed to happen... Thanks for the guide!

9. kief__catcher

kief__catcher Server Admin
    Server Admin

this is a great guide for beginners.

against a pyro, the best way to kill him/her is to lay stickies down in his path, and if they don't take him out, he should be sufficiently damaged that one or two bottles take him out. also, if you aim well with your pipes, 1-2 pipes to the face take out an unhealed pyro easily. this method is easy against noob pyros who don't strafe, but for skilled pyros, you'll probably need to do the one or two stickies and then bottle him. if a medic is healing you, get between the pyro and your medic and bottle that fool!

as for heavies who are not being healed, i prefer using the pipes. 3 or 4 pipes to the face always take out unhealed heavies. i prefer this method since they're slow and it doesn't require super awesome aim to hit them.

similarly, i can't say how many times i've taken in an uber and my demo target took a sentry to very low health but didn't kill it and didn't use his pipes at all during the whole uber. for one level3 gun, 2-3 stickies + 2-3 pipes take them out fairly easily. 4 pipes on an unhealed level 3 also take it down. plus, if there's just one gun, you can take out the dispenser with your pipes first, then the gun. for pro demos they probably can handle guns fine without pipes, but i can't stress enough how important it is to use your pipes on sentries if you're having trouble taking them down.

again, i think this is a great basics guide for demos. i've said this before, and this is probably plainly obvious, but the difference between a mediocre demo and a demoman who can become a skilled player is aiming your pipes. i'm still working on my pipe bomb skills.
    here's a tip - except in rare situations where your team asks you to spam an area, NEVER spam your pipe bombs. always aim and try to predict where your opponent is about to be, kind of like the soldier, except instead of shooting them where your opponent's feet are about to me, shoot them where his face is about to be. if you never spam and always aim your pipes, you'll gradually get better and on your way to becoming a pro. lately when i play i've been working on stickying players into the air and airshotting them. someone posted a pro-demo video a couple weeks ago that featured multiple sweet air shots. it's pretty gratifying to gib a player with an airshot.
    if you're not that great at aiming pipes, then of course you should just put a couple stickies on the ground where he's about to land, but air shots are pretty fun to try, and i think (for me at least) demo airshots are way easier than with a soldier.

10. Spectro

Spectro New Member

I can't seem to play as the Demoman at all. I've watched several Youtube videos and read guides like this but I still end up failing terribly. I don't know if I should just keep failing with him until I figure out how to get kills, or what.

11. DrNipples

DrNipples New Member

You know, I can't thank you enough for this, after reading it about 8 hours ago, I've played nothing but Demo and have been doing great. I don't sticky the tunnel archway in Warpath anymore, now I'm throwing them 2-3 at a time and killing someone or destroying a building, not to mention all the Kritzkrieg's and Uber's I've been getting. I've gained nearly 1,000 positions today, most likely around 800 from Demo, and now I'm hovering around the 3000 rank. Thanks Shade

12. King

King Guest

Awesome guide. Nice job man. :grin:

13. ShadeSWG

Welcome welcome, I'll see if I can write a pro tips guide in the future >.>

14. sighmon

sighmon Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

when i first played with skillz i called him bottle-boy. he carried that thing around more than a frat boy at spring break.

15. D15C0

D15C0 New Member

Yeah, I too can contest the usefulness of the bottle.

The Demo is rather weak in close range, however the bottle isn't a terrible melee weapon, and if you are needing to reload, and the enemy is trying to close ground I think you'll be surprised how often you are able to come out on top. The demo has a very slow reloading time, and while your reloading your completely helpless. Hell, if I only have 1 shot left before a reload, I'll usually think it a better idea to switch to the bottle. You save yourself from taking the splash damage in extreme close range. What will happen is you'll either be immediately killed, which is the same thing that would happen if you started reloading, or you'll throw them off just enough to give you a fighting chance. You'll find that some people will actually switch to melee themselves when they see a bottle out, which is a terrible idea. This is were skills help. If you're good at melee, you'll find yourself quite successful. And the rest of the time, you still have a shot. The smart ones won't try you in hand-to-hand combat, but will still have to adapt with your change in tactics. Another thing that works in your favor, is if you are on a killing spree and find yourself low on ammo, the nature of the critical hit system goes in your favor. Melee crits having a naturally higher chance of occurring, which also increases as you do damage gives you a lot of lucky hits.

16. SniperNoSniping

SniperNoSniping No Heroes VIP
    VIP

this is nice, although i still think experience is the best way to learn, guidelines just get confusing to people who are trying to learn because they tend to forget a lot of the tips and get frustrated. However if you like guides this is very well done giving a basis to the learners

17. Aix

Aix Senior Server Admin
    Senior Admin

It isn't the fault of the guide that you have a bad memory and "forget a lot of the tips and get frustrated." Of course the best way to learn is to actually play, but a guide can make the difference between a very nooby approach to the class and a more skilled approach. Not everyone is a natural with every class; guides are a great resource and sometimes players just need to be pointed in the right direction to drastically change their game for the better.

I stand by my statement that the best way to learn about playing Demoman is to play Medic and heal a good demoman, particularly on Warpath where you will usually find many who are very good (Emily, Skillzish, Laguna, Savage, Shades, ShogunBabalu, Invisible Man, just to name a few really really good regulars). Watch how they shoot, where they shoot, how they take down guns, etc., and you'll be doing the same in no time.

18. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax New Member

I've learned most about playing demoman by being owned by said players as opposed to watching them. I'll notice how they take down my sentrygun, what they do when they're ubered, what they do when they're kritzed, etc, etc. Either way works, really. The key is Watch and Learn :cool: .

19. digitaldemon

digitaldemon Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get better at demo and this is gonna help out a lot. Thanks for the guide and for the other helpful comments. :cool:

20. abidingDude2

abidingDude2 New Member

Just wanted to second the opinion that Pillz are your primary weapon for the majority of the time, on a majority of the maps. Stickies are the ammo of choice tho when it comes to WP, which is really the good strat for the maps layout.

Get good with pipes because they are the quikest way of killing some1 when you are on the attack unless u get a lucky crit sticky. Faster reload, to firing time and more dmg upon hits are things that will bring your foe down quik. Stickies are ideal for the attack after you've exhausted your pipes imo. Heavies will be your only problem if they have a medic like stated in the guide- i usually pop all 4 pillz into them, strafe and apply a bottle to the brain just ask DJ, couldnt say i have ever been fortunate enough to do that to Primus ^^.

Stickies are for holding your ground, taking out nest, defending an area, and or the aimless. Obs the exception for not using pipes on the attack being, if the enemy isnt in los- excluding arc capabilties.

Edit: post does seem a little close minded, so to be noted: Both weapons should be used at all times: ones more efficient and the other at times is more practical....