1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 hunter rule

Discussion in 'Left 4 Dead' started by seeyouinhell, Apr 27, 2009.

1. seeyouinhell

seeyouinhell Head Admin
    Head Admin

Ok something was brought to my attention last night during a L4D ladder match. One team managed to get 4 hunters and timed the pounces to immediately incapacitate the enemy team. I was asked if that was a legal move and i told them that we have no specific rule against it.

So i did a bunch of research on the subject. I checked a bunch of other L4D ladders and the steam group forums. Not one of the other L4D ladders that i checked banned such tactics. When i asked one of my friends that participate in a very popular ladder about the move, they said it was allowed and known.

This is the bug/glitch listed on the steam forum.
    - Director spawns bosses incorrectly. It is obvious in Versus mode when sometimes you can have up to 3 or 4 hunters simultaneously. [check]

So in conclusion, this is not going to be banned from out servers/ladders. Just like i'm not going to ban the 3 hunters and one smoker on top of the roof in No Mercy.

2. Savage

Savage Head Admins
    Head Admin

But...but....they're so scary. :shock:

3. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

So is Emily, but she hasn't been banned yet.

4. Guest

We had four hunters recently because the director spawned a random boomer (bot-controlled) off of the side of the map, and it didn't move. But we missed the timing (Xabu sniped one of our hunters in mid-pounce). D:

5. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

Yeah I've had it happen before but it's never been while playing with people who were all playing cohesively. Rather than waiting for the last of us to spawn in, one decided he could go ahead and attack on his own. Whatever. We still downed them before the end.

6. motherboy xxx

motherboy xxx Head Admin
    Head Admin

Wait till you see me in action. I am the most frightening.

Especially when I am playing on Team Rainbow Unicorn Hug Patrol.

7. Zind

Zind KING OF CHAT
    Senior Admin

You all should get your characters re-skinned in shiny happy colors, up the scare level a few notches. Maybe add a rainbow cape onto the models.

8. Muscles O Draves

Muscles O Draves Active Member

This is the most out-of-character post I've seen.

9. Proven

Proven Community Veteran

Team
    Rainbow
    Unicorn
    Hug
    Patrol

Patrol
    Hug
    Unicorn
    Rainbow
    Team

PHURT? P-HURT?

Should I stop procrastinating and go back to my school work....yes...yes I should.

10. ToXic

ToXic Head Admin
    Head Admin

It waas just a check in to what everyone else thought. We never had a rule for it, so in no way did I want them not to receive the victory.

Seeyou, you left out the part where you constantly sacrifice yourself to get the 4 hunters and how that fit in here. Because it's definitely not random to get 4 hunters. And the 3 hunter and one smoker we do at the end of No Mercy requires one person sacrifice the boomer, once.

It was a very good game though. Enjoyed it.

11. seeyouinhell

seeyouinhell Head Admin
    Head Admin

Toxic,

I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Sooner or later it would have come up. I'm also don't blame the other team for trying it.

One sacrifice or twenty it's the same thing. If a team has found the pattern to get 4 hunters then they did more research then we did. But i still feel there are plenty of weaknesses to that strategy. First they will not be able to set it up if the team moves very fast and it will be telegraphed too. 4 hunters is a one shot deal. If it works then it's great. If it fails then not much damage will be given to the survivors and the team will not be slowed down at all.

It happened to my team once just messing around and we got caught the same way TRUHP did. Now we have a counter to it as long as we don't screw up. But i know we will screw it up :)

12. ToXic

ToXic Head Admin
    Head Admin

Care to let others know this defense? Because if you are in a close group like we were during that panic even, and one hunter hits...you're done, the stun from the first pounce ensures no one else can do anything about it.

13. seeyouinhell

seeyouinhell Head Admin
    Head Admin

Sure a formation of 2 and 2 not so close. Or the single file line formation. Anytime you are in a square formation you are at risk of that move. Also turn on the batman hack and you are golden. :)

14. Xabu

Xabu Guest

I saw 4 Hunters spawn once all on their own, but out of all my Versus hours only a single time.

While we're discussing ladder rules though I'd like us to add a footnote concerning intentional nav path bugging. If AI can not follow the mesh in a straight line to get someplace, they "bug out" and you'll see them just wander in place. It absolutely trivializes crescendos (and the ENTIRE DEAD AIR FINALE) and is absolutely not an intended effect from Valve. I asked Zoid about it and hopefully he can get me in touch with their mapper to fix them ASAP but for the time being despite not being a "major authority" I would absolutely, 100% hope that none of our L4D players would use these.

15. A. Bettik

A. Bettik VIP Supporter
    VIP

To be less technical, here is an example of what I think Xabu is talking about. Dead Air finale, if you get on top of the luggage pile behind the plane that picks you up, regular infected can not follow or reach you for an attack. The only thing you have to worry about are the specials. Although, it is relatively simple to cascade a smoker pull and a couple pounces to get some good damage in. Of course, that is only one example, and I'm sure there are others on various maps with less risk to the survivors.

16. seeyouinhell

seeyouinhell Head Admin
    Head Admin

I agree. Both of these are considered map glitches in my book and they are never accepted. I did add a specific rule for them just now. Also added if a team uses a MAP glitch to get an advantage they will be DQed.